Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Samispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
New to planted aquariums.

I have a 54litre aquarium with 3xt8 15w each fixture. Producing 45watts combined. So that's about 4 watts per gallon give or take.
I let the filter run for about a week before adding 3 neon tetras.
Fed fish once a day.
Then I couldn't wait and added 5 more fish and 5 cherry shrimp.
Now I'm regretting this as iv realised i have too high ammonia and nitrite levels!
I think I have new tank syndrome.
Is there any products out there (from uk) that has biological bacteria and actually works?
Just want some guys that have use had this problem and overcame it without killing off the fish.
I also have co2 pressurised kit which I added yesterday to help grow the plants better!
Any input would be great to lower my nitrite and ammonia levels.
Regards
Sami.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2019940757.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	115281

This is my tank 5 days ago without pressurised co2 system.

By the way. This is my first ever aquarium.
And I'm trying to do planted aquarium.
People have told me its very demanding.
Thanks again.
__________________

__________________
Samispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 101
You're taking a chance, adding fish before the cycle had completed. You may lose done.

Regardless, I hope you have a python water changer. You'll need to be doing daily (if not more) 50% water changes. You'll probably need to do this for a month or so, until the bacteria colonize and do it for you. Search this site for humane fish in cycling.
__________________

__________________
malfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Samispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfist
You're taking a chance, adding fish before the cycle had completed. You may lose done.

Regardless, I hope you have a python water changer. You'll need to be doing daily (if not more) 50% water changes. You'll probably need to do this for a month or so, until the bacteria colonize and do it for you. Search this site for humane fish in cycling.
Right.. So water change everyday! Ok! My LFS told me to add the fish to start the cycle.
My fish seem really active. Even though my nitrites is high! Thanks for the link!
Any bacteria u can recommend me putting into the tank to neutralise the nitrites and ammonia?
__________________
Samispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ziggs180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 364
one thing that will definitely help you is to get certain plants that will act as nutrient sponges, and soak up any Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates (plants use these as food). Water Wisteria, Anacharis, Water Sprite, Hornwort, are common examples.

Note it will not replace water changes, but it will help make your fish more comfortable. What Substrate are you using?
__________________
46Gallon Natural Planted Tank. 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Amano shrimp, 2 German blue Rams, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Platys, 1 Albino Bristlenose
Ziggs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samispeed

Right.. So water change everyday! Ok! My LFS told me to add the fish to start the cycle.
My fish seem really active. Even though my nitrites is high! Thanks for the link!
Any bacteria u can recommend me putting into the tank to neutralise the nitrites and ammonia?
You can try whatever bacteria is available at your LFS. It isn't going to replace water changes but it may make the new tank less stressful on your fish and shrimp. Lots of people do fish in cycles, and it's fine to do it that way. You made a bad choice adding more fish and shrimp though. Feed very very lightly. Just enough for most of your fish to feed and a very small amount to your shrimp. If you overfeed during a cycle it can get bad quickly even with water changes. Good luck. I hope everybody pulls through. You have a nice looking tank.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Samispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Thank you mate. I will be doing lots of water changes daily until I get desired results!
Thanks for your input
I hope my fish and shrimp do okay! I will keep posted!
__________________
Samispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Samispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs180
one thing that will definitely help you is to get certain plants that will act as nutrient sponges, and soak up any Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates (plants use these as food). Water Wisteria, Anacharis, Water Sprite, Hornwort, are common examples.

Note it will not replace water changes, but it will help make your fish more comfortable. What Substrate are you using?
I am using tropica plant substrate then sand then gravel ontop.
I have tonnes of plants in here. All live plants ranging from bacopa, cambomba to hemianthus Christmas moss and other types.
Sounds like water changes are the only solution.
How long does a fish in cycle take?
__________________
Samispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samispeed

I am using tropica plant substrate then sand then gravel ontop.
I have tonnes of plants in here. All live plants ranging from bacopa, cambomba to hemianthus Christmas moss and other types.
Sounds like water changes are the only solution.
How long does a fish in cycle take?
You've already got nitrite so my guess would be about two or three weeks, maybe more maybe less. Because you have so many plants it may not be all that bad as long as you only feed what your fish can eat in about 20 seconds once a day and do the necessary water changes.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Samispeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Thank you! Fingers crossed! Yes I want my whole tank to be heavily planted! I think the aqua scape look is awesome!
__________________

__________________
Samispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
plant, planted, planted aquariums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.