New to planted, considering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 30 gal tank and have been considering some sort of live plant just for kicks. I have gravel and a few larger rocks. I was wondering if there was a type of moss that I could maybe buy that would grow on my larger rocks? Possibly a kind that most lfs would stock. I think it would look cool. Don't really know what options I even have. Anyways, let me know. Thanks

What type of lighting do you have on the tank? Java moss is the most commonly available and can be tied onto rocks and will eventually self attach as long as the rocks are really smooth.

I have basic lighting that came with the tank. I am guessing just an fluorescent bulb? I'm guessing since you asked this that plants require different lighting?

As far as java moss, will it grow onto rough rocks? What does it normally grown on? I have a hut thing that is fairly smooth...

You could probably do java moss with that light but it will grow slow just so you know. Yes it will attach to rough rocks and on something smooth some people use super glue gel. I have never used it but thought I'd pass the info on.

I as well have a question if the tread started dosent mind, can I grow plants with an led setup?

I just don't want to start up a new thread if this one is really close to what I got going on...sorry not trying to thread jack.

I'm terrible with LED lighting so hopefully someone else can chime in or PM Brian_Nano12g as he is very good with LED lighting questions.

I have just the standard cover/light that came with the tank, so say I wanted to change my lighting to accommodate plants, what would be involved? What kinds of lights do you need? Do they fit in the standard covers? How much do they usually cost? Etc etc.

I have verry little experiance with lighting but what I do know is that don't trust your LPS too much, but do trust your LFS. And that most hoods with lighting fixures you are able to change the bulbs just like anormal light bulb, there's like 5 different types, and don't allways belive the packageing, just cause they say plant doesn't mean they are allso good for your fish, or your water...here is a good place if someone else chimes in, and if not try an aquariam magazine, they do reviews of light types and so on...hope this helped ya, and probally don't go led all I can find is that its cost efficent...no real practical test on them...

Pm TheFishBoss97, he sells plants on here that he grows, he should be able to help you with lighting...

Back
Top Bottom