New to planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon tank that I am trying to turn into a planted tank. I just hated the fake look of my tank and loved the look of a tank with real plants.

This is the before:
909196993_bPRqw-M.jpg

And this is what I have so far:
909197774_VyPkk-M.jpg

I have gotten a few plants here and there - hopefully I have chosen plants that will do well in my lights. The tank is four foot and I changed the lights to a 15watt 6700k (left) and a 15 watt 6500k (right side) (could not find two lights that were the same... grrrr!!!!).

I have:

2 Anubius (not sure of the type - they are the same - one is doing well, one is not)
a bunch of Moneywort that seems to be doing great. It is sprouting all kinds of little roots off the stems.
Java Moss
Foxtail (just bought Sunday)
Crypt (just bought Sunday)

909197610_DDXBo-M.jpg

909197341_XAcu4-M.jpg

909198399_Hsv9X-M.jpg

The fish seem to be very happy with their new plants and driftwood.

7 Bosemani Rainbows (I suspect one is actually a Turquoise)
6 Black Sail Cory Cats
6 Emerald Cory Cats
6 Otos
1 Dwarf Gourami

Thanks!! I am so used to my "outside" plants that come with tags that tell me how big the plant will be. I am afraid that my tank will need some re-arranging as the plants grow and spread. LOL.

stem plants general will grow towards the light so the length of the tank... the crypts you got will have grow slowly but up to 18inch or so again very slow growers... didnt see the anubias so now sure what kind it is. its a slow grower... moss is like a bush will grow as large as you let it.

Thanks - good to know. I really like the little crypt. It came in a container and was a bit rootbound (it was the only one they had, but looked great), so I split it into three parts and spread it out.

The Anubias is actually behind the middle piece of driftwood - the one on the right is getting a bit yellow and has a few brown spots. I got it before I changed my lights and am hoping it recovers with the light change. I probably need to move my Moneywort along the back of the tank, but was using the rocks to hold it down.

Since I have sand, should I do root tabs? If so, where would you recommend buying them and what brand/type?

I have 55 gallon heavilly planted. I have low light, 2 20 watt 6500 t12, I got at home depot. Both bulbs for 9 bucks. My plants are doing great. and I have low to medium light plants. Most medium light plants will grow in low light, if they have reds or other colors they will just turn green. but some will keep their color. Amozon sword do well.
General rule of thumb- ( not set in stone) broad leaf plants lower light
The more leaves on a plant the more light it requires,
Reds oranges and purples high light- will grow in low light just turns green

By the way cool tank. I love the natural look. I kept mine all natural also.

I have 55 gallon heavilly planted. I have low light, 2 20 watt 6500 t12, I got at home depot. Both bulbs for 9 bucks. My plants are doing great. and I have low to medium light plants. Most medium light plants will grow in low light, if they have reds or other colors they will just turn green. but some will keep their color. Amozon sword do well.

those are pretty nifty rules. do you use root tabs or co2 or any of that? I am wanting to do some low light plants also. What plants do you have? Any anubias? I really like anubias :)

I really like the little crypt.
crypts are my fav plant low light and able to add all kinds of color to the tanks. i have a 120 with nothing but a field of crypts with a couple anubias.

Since I have sand, should I do root tabs? If so, where would you recommend buying them and what brand/type?
crypts do best with root tabs. flourish root tabs seem to be the most popular.

those are pretty nifty rules. do you use root tabs or co2 or any of that? I am wanting to do some low light plants also. What plants do you have? Any anubias? I really like anubias :)

all I use is fertilizer tabs every other month. One thing with heavily planted tanks, got to watch the water changes. That removes the co2, and gives way to algea. I do not use co2 cannisters. I lightly gravel vac only, no deep gravel vacs, poo helps the plants grow.
I just down loaded photoes on my profile. you can check them out.

I only use tabs, IMO, liquid fertilizers put to many nutrients in the water that remain free floating and gives algea a boost. Tabs stay in gravel where they belong.

Thanks!!

Did you have to alter your hoods at all to use the lights from Home Depot? My lights are 15 watts - I'm not comfortable enough with electricity to do too much changing. ;)

Thanks!!

Did you have to alter your hoods at all to use the lights from Home Depot? My lights are 15 watts - I'm not comfortable enough with electricity to do too much changing. ;)

No I have a 48 inch light that takes two 24 inch bulbs. I bought them and put them in. no different than buying bulbs at lfs. sorry for the misleading, I got the bulbs at home depot. not new lights. ( bucks for both of them.) same bulbs at lfs they want 3 times as much.

Gotcha... thanks for clarifying. I'll have to look at our HD this weekend and see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom