new to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a7xdex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been caring for fish for 10 years now and have had many different species. I just recently got into live plants. I would like to know the ins and out of caring for live plants and some suggestions for backgroung midground and foreground plants. And recommended DIY co2 kits. I have the hagen setup which I know is to small for my tank but I only have a few plants. I have 2.5 Watts per gallen flouresent lighting on a 10 hour timer. I would also like some recommendations for fertilizers. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AA.

With your current lighting, I'd skip the CO2 and look at lowlight plants such as crypts (wide variety of colors and sizes), vals, java fern and java moss are great starter plants.

You can probably skip fertz for awhile with lowlight varieties. If you want to upgrade later, dry fertz are much less expensive than bottled types. The type and amount you'd need would depend on the type of plants you have.

Good luck!

Http://www.plantgeek.net has a great guide that you can sort by placement and lighting requirements.

I would say you can grow low and medium light plants.

For co2 are you measuring the levels you are achieving with your hagan kit? Even though you only have a few plants, if you aren't maintaining 20+ ppm co2 it can be worse for algae than just not running co2 at all. You could easily build a second generator and hook it up to your system for a couple bucks.

For Ferts, you probably won't need much. Are you testing your nitrates? What level are they at? I would recommend just starting with a trace mix like flourish comprehensive, or a k/trace combo like API leafzone.

Nitrates are at 5ppm. I plan on upgrading the lights for a heavily planted tank. I don't have the hagen anymore. I have a pressurized kit now but haven't tested the co2

I think your current lighting solution offers a lot of options, but if you are going to upgrade, t5ho or LED would be the way I would go.

You will want to test your co2. It is easy to over or under do it if you aren't measuring it. You really want co2 to be just right, as there are consequences of having not enough or having way too much.

I would look at getting something to supplement your N as well. 5 is a little on the low side, and you don't want to bottom out. I keep mine at 10-20ppm Nitrate.

Flourish N would work well, or if you want to start looking into dosing dry fertilizers, that is by far the most economical way to go.

Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home is a good source for dry ferts.

If you plan on upgrading the lighting in the near future, for dry ferts I would get:

KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4
MgSO4
Plantex CSM+B

A pound of each would last you probably 18 months or so.

Ok I just bought a 90 gallon with t5 lighting with led moonlight's. Waiting on the cycle but was wondering what a good reading for co2 would be. Nitrates in the 55 are 40ppm now nitrites are 0 ammonia is 0 Ph is 6.5. Don't have a co2 test kit yet but I'm getting one Friday. Not running pressurized co2 system till I do and I know what a good reading is.

There are not many options with your current lighting. You could try some lilaeopsis - it would survive, though it would not carpet terribly quickly in your current setup.

I have t5 lighting now with LEDs. They're 50,000 kelvin. Idk how that converts to wattage. Lighting is no longer a problem

Does anyone know anything about aponogeton bulbs? Or purple waffle? I read that purple waffle is not a true aquatic plant but mine is growing like crazy. The roots are green and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom