new to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no danger. Plants eat how they eat. What the root feeders don't get, the leaf feeders will and vice versa. Keep an eye on your photo period. If you start to see BBA, reduce your photo period, and check your nitrates. Good luck!!!

Ok, well is there any harm in putting the root tabs in if its not a root feeder? I also have a banana plant to now, is that a root feeder?

I'm not a fan of banana plants and don't use them but I don't think it would hurt to give them a root tab.

Much info on the internet about plants.

I found the net to be a god-send when I decided to set up my latest 30g. The variety of plants with differing light, co2 and nutrient needs available to us is amazing. Two excellant sites to research what types of plants would do best with your set up are provided by tropica and arizona aquatic gardens. They list each species with a pretty good description of each. You can even just type in the plant's name in google search and a lot of useful stuff comes up. They saved me from making some serious mistakes when I was choosing compatible plants especially on lighting needs. You don't HAVE to order from them to use their site. The darkest green plant in your pictures looks to be a java moss (low light) and the Rotalla (sp) is a medium to high light. Unless you really want to get into advanced plants, go for aabout 2 watts per gallon on light. The T5 HO fixture you got is a GREAT start to correct lighting. Congrats! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom