New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank? Lol! Just kidding. Yup, sounds good. And maybe a Betta log that floats. They like those. A 10g is deep for a Betta. They love the room but they like the top of the water too. Another note... If your getting a baby Betta they can be jumpers. But you can always keep the water level low til he gets alittle bigger. Or just get a lid. Bigger ones can be jumpers too. Just to keep it in mind.

Tank? Lol! Just kidding. Yup, sounds good. And maybe a Betta log that floats. They like those. A 10g is deep for a Betta. They love the room but they like the top of the water too. Another note... If your getting a baby Betta they can be jumpers. But you can always keep the water level low til he gets alittle bigger. Or just get a lid. Bigger ones can be jumpers too. Just to keep it in mind.

Good advice, I've never had one jump but a lot of people have reported that.

Likewise on the floating log. They love having a place to rest near the surface.

Okay so here is what I need to buy, livestock, and what I have.

Planted Tank stuff to buy
- Seachem Flourish Excel
- T8 or T12 lights
- Sponge for filter intake
- Thrive Liquid Fertilizer
- CaribSea Eco Complete Black Planted Substrate

Go with T8's, 3000K-10,000K, you do not need a sponge for the intake unless you are planning on having shrimp in the tank, Thrive is good, excel is good, I would seriously consider a cheaper substrate, eco is tough to plant in, even tougher to use in smaller tanks, is inert and has low CEC, almost as low as sand but, it can grow plants. For me, I won't use it again, if you are using thrive you can get away with standard sand or gravel with no issue.

Plants/Livestock
- Java Fern
- Java Moss
- Male Betta

looks good, if you are only getting these plants you dont even need a substrate, so why spend the money on a brand name substrate that isn't much better than regular gravel??

Stuff I have
- Penguin Filter
- Heater
- Test Kit
- Prime, Solution etc.
This is good, set the temp to 80 degrees F for cycling (helps speed up bacterial growth)

Commented in bold

Back
Top Bottom