New to planted tanks...Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prediscus23

Aquarium Advice Freak
:hide:So.... I have a 28 gal bow front tank that just finished cycling, however it is not a planted tank(yet...Hopefully). My question is can I convert my already cycled tank to a planted tank? Is there a way I could add a different substrate on top of my existing tiny gravel to promote healthy plant growth?

I just dont want to start the nitrification process ALL over!
Any help is much apprecitated

Adding plants won't disrupt the cycle at all and yes you could add a plant substrate too. What plants are you thinking of keeping? What is your lighting like?

Yup as long as you have lighs you may not even need to add substrate. It all depends on what pants you get though.

I'm not sure I'll have to check on the lighting, The bulb is in the hood it came in but doesn't look like most stock bulbs. It has a pink hue to it.

I know for sure that I want some flame moss and a floating plant of sort not sure yet though.

What kind of substrate should I put on top?
Iam wanting to put either a piece of Munson stone or a cypress knee and build around it

You might have a colormax bulb, wchich doesn't really do anything for plants. You might consider changing it out for a t8 bulb or even investing in a t5ho fixture. With the t8 bulb you could grow low light plants like java moss, crypts, anubias, and maybe jungle val(I've had mixed experiennces with it). The t5ho fixture would give you a much wbigger variety on plants to choose from and your tank will look a lot brighter.

Back
Top Bottom