New to Planted tanks, Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone,

This is my first tank and I've recently started buying little easy growing plants and right now in the process of making a DIY CO2 system. Hope everything goes well with that project lol. My tank is a 20gal starter kit so it came with the lighting and hood. (the hood messured ~22"? the blub is ~17") It only has one blub... now from what I have read people use two blubs... Such as two T5s. So im alittle confused. I understand the wattage pergallons so im wondering how this works lol.
Now my Questions are... (yes im new to all of this and just looking for help and advice :))

Can I replace the blubs with new blubs that can fit with enough watts for plants, or do I need to buy a new setup for the hood?

Is there anyway I can change the unit under the stock hood and put in new lights?

I am a full time student so, budget is tight but I am willing to hear all options. So everyone that can help share your ideas and don't worry about the money, but cheap is better :brows:.

Thanks!
:thanks:

Alright got the DIY Co2 system working, and it works great! See if it helps the plants now... :whistle:

Anyone? Im thinking that I have to buy a whole new unit for the lighting...

I know these are noob questions.

Thanks!

Since your hood came with stock bulbs, look into CFL bulbs that match the wattage of your hood. Your looking for CFL's that have a color temp of 6500K which is about the color temp of sunlight. Stock bulbs are really only suitable for looking at the fish, not really for growing plants, although some low light / low maintenance plants may do ok.

The other option is to buy a new fixture which will be a bit $$$$$$
In a 20gal you could do a single T5 bulb that should give you more than enough light. You can also look at LED's. If you go with either option, it is best to ditch your current hood and go with a glass canopy. CFL's could let you still use your current hood.

The watts per gallon rule kind of goes out the window with higher output bulbs like T5 for example. Using PAR's is a better way to determine light output ... see the charts in the link below which I find to be very useful.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

Good luck!

LEDs are the easiest way to retrofit a hood. The Wpg guidelines don't apply to LEDs. I've got 30W of LED over my 20H and can grow anything.

Since your hood came with stock bulbs, look into CFL bulbs that match the wattage of your hood. Your looking for CFL's that have a color temp of 6500K which is about the color temp of sunlight. Stock bulbs are really only suitable for looking at the fish, not really for growing plants, although some low light / low maintenance plants may do ok.

The other option is to buy a new fixture which will be a bit $$$$$$
In a 20gal you could do a single T5 bulb that should give you more than enough light. You can also look at LED's. If you go with either option, it is best to ditch your current hood and go with a glass canopy. CFL's could let you still use your current hood.

The watts per gallon rule kind of goes out the window with higher output bulbs like T5 for example. Using PAR's is a better way to determine light output ... see the charts in the link below which I find to be very useful.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

Good luck!

Okay so the stock hood I have now has the lighting canopy that pops off and has glass that protects it from the water in the back half, and in the front have is the lift up plastic that you can feed the fish from.

The fixture or canopy with the light in it has a wattage of 17w according to the back sticker. Now there is one blub in the canopy and if I were to get a CFL then I could replace the blub thats in there now, as long as it has the same wattage (17w)? Is this correct? From pictures online and sizing it shoud fit.

LEDs are a option, but then again think just buying LED strips and installing them in the hood would be a good idea?

Thanks alot for your info and help!
:D

LEDs are the easiest way to retrofit a hood. The Wpg guidelines don't apply to LEDs. I've got 30W of LED over my 20H and can grow anything.

Did you use LED strips?
Just wondering if I could do this and attach them to the hood I have now. Would be alot easier then buying a new fixture.

Thanks alot!
:D

LED strips won't do much for you. Check out the LED build link in my signature. I used 3W Cree XR-E diodes and they work great. You could use half the LEDs I used and still get good results. I think it could fit in an existing hood pretty easily too.

LED strips won't do much for you. Check out the LED build link in my signature. I used 3W Cree XR-E diodes and they work great. You could use half the LEDs I used and still get good results. I think it could fit in an existing hood pretty easily too.

Didn't even see your link lol. But WOW nice job that looks really nice, I deffintely going to look into this more. Im pretty sure it could fit in the hood now.

Thanks!

Okay so today I stoped by HomeD and bought a CFL 15 Watt 18" T8 Daylight bulb (According to the box, also sad for plant growth and freshwater aquariums). Cost was amazing! And it popped right into the hood with no problem. It's alittle dimmer do to the wattage and the Daylight but it looks great. Thinking of saving up some more money and actually getting a new canopy eventually, but for now this should work.

Hopefully the plants will grow great now.

Thanks Everyone!
:thanks:

If anyone still has any more suggestions or info please let me know!

Okay I know its alittle to soon to say but if anyone has any xp on this. I have the CFL 15 Watt 18" T8 Daylight bulb on the tank right now and its only one blub. Does anyone think that is not enough light for the plants to grow? The tank is dimmer so im looking to just add a led strip to the hood somewhere to give the tank alittle more lighting, but if I need more lighting for the plants then should I invest in a new canopy?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom