New to planted tanks--please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattscheck4

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to start a 10-gallon freshwater planted tank (small, I know, but I'm not allowed to get another big tank). I've never done a planted setup, and I don't know exactly what goes into it. The hood that is currently on it contains the light, so I'm hoping to either get some low-light plants or get a bulb/bulbs for the light that will help things grow.

What I know: I need CO2 and better lighting.
What I want to know: What kind of lighting do I need? What kinds of plants will do well with that lighting (I'm hoping to get some kind of grass in there)? Anything else I'll need to know, please chime in.

Thank you!

have you looked into diy co2?

if your light bulbs screw in you can get those spiral shaped energy saver light bulbs, you're looking for around 6700k.
it can be difficult to get grassy and carpet like plants to grow without high lighting. i have little experience growing plants in small tanks though so maybe someone else can chime in

I have a ten gallon with a 6700k 18" bulb on it. I just replaced the bulb that came with my Walmart kit. I have playsand as a substrate and I am able to grow vals, Amazon swords, Nana petite and mosses with just adding a couple root tabs every few months.

You won't need the co2 unless you add a lot of light and more demanding plants. You can get away with a really nice low light and low maintenance tank very easily.

I got into the planted scene without knowing anything as well; I had a 10 gallon with a run-of-the-mill fluorescent hood, under-gravel filter hooked to a powerhead, and no substrate whatsoever. Irregardless, I managed to grow an exceedingly healthy tiger lotus, sword, and crypt from bulbs that I planted. I used root fertilizer pellets, CO2 fizz tabs, and LeafZone liquid plant food. Thinking back with what I know now, here's what I would do:

Good substrate, NO undergravel filter
Liquid supplements for nitrate and phosphate
Keep the CO2 fizz tabs, cut the fertilizer pellets
Better light with a glass hood

Personally, I would do the fizz tabs over the injection system simply for cost effectiveness. That's just personal opinion, however.

Back
Top Bottom