New to planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gal tank that we recently converted from rock to sand. We use a Cascade 1000 Canister unit and the original bulbs that came with the hood. We have 2 yellow blood parrots, 1 red parrot, 1 yellow lab., 2 spiny eels, 2 electric blue, 1 ice blue, and 1 pleco. All of the fish are still pretty small. We have been scouring the area searching for fake plants to put in the tank but haven't come up with anything that looks real. I thought about planting the tank but I am not sure if it would be feasible. I read on this site that certain fish will eat the plants and I wasn't sure if my eels would burrow and disturb the plants or if any of the fish would try to eat the plants. I guess my question is, would it be a good idea to plant the tank? If so, would me eels burrow and tear them apart?

I do not have any experience with planting so anything that you can give me is greatly appreciated.

The types of cichilds you're keeping will munch on some plants.
The best resource I've seen so far is one my friend Travis compiled, by trying lots of plants in his 125g ARLC tank.
http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7645

Aside from that link, your lighting is insufficient for anything but low light plants like java fern, java moss, crypts and anubias species.

Thanks for your response. We decided not to plant but instead purchase plastic. I had a feeling that the cichlid's would eat the plants.

Back
Top Bottom