new to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its the aqueon brand light that came with the hood... ill go check. back its a 17 watt full spectrum daylight 8,000 k bulb

ok, imo that will do better than the 18000K 20W bulb. It is still pretty inadequate though honestly. You aren't going to see much growth with it (if at all), and I think pulling the sword out is a good idea if you aren't going to upgrade.

ill just pull the swoard out and research on plants that can survive that light.. ill feed the swoard to my silver dollars. these bulbs were a big waste of money.. ill probably return themm.. should i use liquid fetilizers though? or is it not really helpful? what about the floating plant hornwart? was gonna get it, but didnt have enough....

With that light, I would be surprised if any fertilizer supplementation is necessary. Hornwort might do ok if you leave it floating, as it will be right under the light.

I am not a fan of it though. If it melts/dies it makes a mess.

Sure, duckweed would do ok. Problem there is if it multiplies at all, it will block light that is already extremely low. Really the same with the hornwort I guess, if there is java fern underneath it.

depends what kind of anubias it is. Most of it will probably live. I doubt it would grow much. It would however grow plenty of algae on the leaves ;)

id like to try carpet algae.. i think the look it will have on my crushed coral will be amazing.

its like algae that grows like a rug on the floor of the tank.. with the way my tank looks, itl look cool.. hopefully this works out.. idk if my amazon sword will be ok in the 55 considering i have a penguin 660 powerhead in there.. the currents pretty strong.

I think you are confused. You are going to have a really tough time growing a carpet of algae. That really won't work out. Carpet plants that grow like you are thinking about require a lot of light, a lot of co2, a lot of ferts, and a lot of TLC.

yeah, you heard wrong... There is not any algae that will grow in your setup that will be attractive.

oh, while im here.. the water sprite i have is in a basket... could i take it out of the back it and into the substrate? the basket is really unsightly...( i switched my bulb back to the 8,000 k one.

Back
Top Bottom