New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I'm going to start my first planted tank. Small and basic. I am getting a 40gl tall. I was thinking of using a 24" T5 light (65-8k) bulbs on a timer. For substrate I was going to use Fluval substrate (2-3"). I just want to grown a sword and some low light ferns. I also have some drift wood, so moss if possible. As for fish, nothing big.. Small schooling community style.

All and all looking for pointers. Is CO2 need for such a small tank? I don't want to grow a jungle. Lol thanks

The issue you'll have is that it is such a tall tank. But you should def be able to grow some plants. Use root tabs for Swords.

Check out Crypts, they'll grow in low light.
Mosses, Ferns, Anubias are all good choices.

Ive had Swords growing with on CFL for 2 years.

If you can borrow a PAR meter that will give you some good info.

So when I lay out the substrate I should put a few tabs in the soil for extra nutrients? Also is solid substrate (soil) ok? Should I do a few layers or other substrate (pebbles, rock, sand)? I saw a YouTube video where a guy had "layers" of vitamins and fertilizer.. Is that excessive?

cichlid_tank619 said:
So when I lay out the substrate I should put a few tabs in the soil for extra nutrients? Also is solid substrate (soil) ok? Should I do a few layers or other substrate (pebbles, rock, sand)? I saw a YouTube video where a guy had "layers" of vitamins and fertilizer.. Is that excessive?

It depends on what you want to grow. If you use soil, you'll need to cap it. Most people use sand. Plain soil is a mess !
Organic potting soil has a ton of nutrients, but it's for people who plant stuff and then DON'T move things.

I am new to this , so my 'scape is never exact, I often have to move or replace plants. So no dirt tanks for me.

So far I've used gravel only ( added root caps)
Blasting Sand w TMS cap
Flourite sand with Tahitian Moon Sand cap
Sand is good, but no nutrients so I add DIY Osmocote Plus gel caps.

You can check out Walstad method ( dirt)
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

Otherwise Pool Filter Sand or Blasting sand is cheap. The Planted Tank or here may have folks selling Osmocote caps :)
I got mine free from a guy on TPT.

So if you are gonna plant it and leave it soil with a sand cap will work ( just use the right soil).

If you aren't sure , then sand or Flourite or another Plant substrate like Eco Complete will work.

IMHO

I have a 30 gallon cube with really horrible lighting (like 1/2 watt per gallon). Crypts have no problem growing in my pool filter sand without root tabs or ferts. I also have pennywort which is spreading like crazy. I highly recommend those 2 if you want to keep it really low-tech. :)

Your New Tank

Hey guys, I'm going to start my first planted tank. Small and basic. I am getting a 40gl tall. I was thinking of using a 24" T5 light (65-8k) bulbs on a timer. For substrate I was going to use Fluval substrate (2-3"). I just want to grown a sword and some low light ferns. I also have some drift wood, so moss if possible. As for fish, nothing big.. Small schooling community style.

All and all looking for pointers. Is CO2 need for such a small tank? I don't want to grow a jungle. Lol thanks

Hello c...

40 gallons is a nice starter size. Low light plants are the way to go with a taller tank. Anubias varieties, Java fern and mosses like Singapore should do well in low light. The taller Amazon swords would be a good choice too.

I'd recommend 6500 K bulbs. The light blue color comes closest to natural daylight at 5500 K. A two bulb fixture should help get more light to the plants, because it needs to get through deeper water with a taller tank.

I have a 45 G tall and float Java fern and Water wisteria attached to a piece of driftwood. I use a single 6500 K T12 and the plants do very well.

CO2 is a nice addition, but I've never used it and my plants grow fine without it.

As for fish, Tetras are probably the most widely available. All the Tetras are schooling fish. I'd put in a vote for 10 or more Neon or Cardinal Tetras because of the color. These fish are very hardy and will adapt to most water conditions.

Just a few thoughts to consider or not.

B

The Fluval Stratum substrate is messy. It breaks down quickly. If you move plants around too much you will have a dusty mess in your tank. After a few months you will have a dusty mess anyway and will constantly be cleaning it off of everything in the tank. It's very expensive so save yourself the headache and go with something else (Eco Complete, PFS, blasting sand, etc...).

Back
Top Bottom