New to Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgan_got_fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have never kept any live plants before so im basically asking for advice and tips. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that im going to try real plants with. For lighting i have a 15 watt CFL bulb. The only things im going to keep in this tank are red cherry shrimp.
What plants should i get?
Do i need better lighting?
Do i need Co2?
Will sand substrate be alright?

Here is the tank

Attachments

• image-839016376.jpg
    image-839016376.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
Morgan_got_fish said:
I have never kept any live plants before so im basically asking for advice and tips. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that im going to try real plants with. For lighting i have a 15 watt CFL bulb. The only things im going to keep in this tank are red cherry shrimp.
What plants should i get?
Do i need better lighting?
Do i need Co2?
Will sand substrate be alright?

Here is the tank

java fern and anubias are some of the most common, basic, and easiest plants to keep.

Athaocity said:
java fern and anubias are some of the most common, basic, and easiest plants to keep.

Yes I agree they are easy plants so is java moss.

On the drift wood you can tie some java fern and some Anubis. Then for the back right corner you could do some hornwort( very green and grows fast but messy ) or some anacharis ( grows relatively fast and is messy at first but does better floating) then for the front left you could do some micro sword ( grass like and moderately green) then for the front right corner you could do a nice clump of java moss. ( very green when healthy and grows fast when happy)

I think that may be a bit much but it looks great in my head. I would have to check the lighting for those plants to your lighting.

Wow so many possibilities. I cant wait to get a bunch of plants for this tank!

the 101 best tropical plants book is a really good source for aquatic plants. if you dont mind investing in it then it will do you good. can be bought at petco and petsmart

Wow so many possibilities. I cant wait to get a bunch of plants for this tank!

The link below's a good start... Your looking for Low maintenance plants like those mentioned. Crypts are one if my favorites that should do well with sand.
No need to do CO2 with the plants mentioned, though it helps to dose liquid
ferts and root tabs.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Back
Top Bottom