New to plants- 26 gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a well established tank that I am hoping to switch to live plants. I am going to buy a new light and a co2 system, but replacing the substrate is not an option. Given this situation I would like to know what equipment to buy, what plants to buy, and a rough cost estimate, (I live in canada and the plants will be much more expensive but I will buy the equipment from amazon USA) I would like to keep my budget at nothing more then $100. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah my current substrate is a gravelImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405304507.139421.jpg

A CO2 system and a light for under $100 will be tough. Id suggest metricide 14 for a carbon source.Your tank is too large for a DIY CO2 system. A finnex planted + should put you at a medium-low light. First thing Id do is figure out what plants and light level youd like but for a $100 budget it will be near impossible to go hi-tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A CO2 system and a light for under $100 will be tough. Id suggest metricide 14 for a carbon source.Your tank is too large for a DIY CO2 system. A finnex planted + should put you at a medium-low light. First thing Id do is figure out what plants and light level youd like but for a $100 budget it will be near impossible to go hi-tech.

This is my first crack at this, so I would want fairly low tech to mid tech but still good looking.

If you are going to be doing low tech i wouldnt worry about a CO2 system. Another good light to consider is the current satellite plus.

Why couldnt you switch out the substrate? If its your only tank you could put your fish in a bucket with a heater and airstone and they would be fine for a couple days. A good cheap substrate is dirt with a pfs or just regular playsand cap. You could even buy all that at your local hardware store in canada.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

So if I changed the substrate and got a new light I could grow some nice plants? What if I didn't change the substrate?

I'll see what I can do about changing the substrate. Any suggestions? Please not to expensive :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405377462.422567.jpg hows this look?

Don't use the flourite black sand!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check it out, i used it and ended up capping it because it was gray under the light, aweful looking..1405379212007.jpg

Okay thanks what do u suggest then?

Eco complete or flourite capped with black sand, that's what I did. I know it will make an appearance eventually but hopefully by then the plant coverage is enough to block it out..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405389854.193155.jpg this one? And would I need one or two? And just that nothing above or underneath?

Think that's the stuff!! I've not personally used it but I know a few folks on here have.. floating particles is the only issue, just net them out when you fill er up

Back
Top Bottom