New to Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are there any Plants that would survive in only gravel without any special substrate underneath. I would love to add a live plant or two to my 10 gallon but i don't want to have to change the substrate. I need a tough easy to care for plant because i have never kept anything other than a marimo moss ball so i'm not very experienced.

I would try java fern and maybe some anubias. They are both good plants that don't need any special substrate and don't need good lighting either.

Are there any Plants that would survive in only gravel without any special substrate underneath. I would love to add a live plant or two to my 10 gallon but i don't want to have to change the substrate. I need a tough easy to care for plant because i have never kept anything other than a marimo moss ball so i'm not very experienced.

What lights do you have? I need to know that before giving some plant names out.

I would try java fern and maybe some anubias. They are both good plants that don't need any special substrate and don't need good lighting either.

I was thinking anubias but all the tanks i have seen with anubias have them growing off of driftwood, is that a requirement or would i be able to put it in the gravel also?

I was thinking anubias but all the tanks i have seen with anubias have them growing off of driftwood, is that a requirement or would i be able to put it in the gravel also?
Technically you could put them in the gravel, but you wouldn't want to bury it in the gravel. When I first got mine I placed it on the gravel, took a pinch of gravel and placed it on top of the rhizome to keep it from floating away. The java fern is the same way. Neither of them you can just plop on the ground. If I were you I'd try to find some DW (usually pretty cheap) and tie them on there if you want. It makes it so much easier.

Technically you could put them in the gravel, but you wouldn't want to bury it in the gravel. When I first got mine I placed it on the gravel, took a pinch of gravel and placed it on top of the rhizome to keep it from floating away. The java fern is the same way. Neither of them you can just plop on the ground. If I were you I'd try to find some DW (usually pretty cheap) and tie them on there if you want. It makes it so much easier.

Did the plant still survive in the gravel? and i want to get a piece of driftwood but right now i just have a fake rock decoration. I could probably tie it onto that.

Did the plant still survive in the gravel? and i want to get a piece of driftwood but right now i just have a fake rock decoration. I could probably tie it onto that.

Yeah they survived. You just don't want to bury them completely. The fake rock would work just as well!

Yeah they survived. You just don't want to bury them completely. The fake rock would work just as well!

Thanks for the feedback, Ill pick up both the anubias and the java fern next time i am at the fish store and see how things go.

Quite a few plants would work in your set up.

WaterSprite
Anarcharis
Hornwort
Crypts (make sure only the roots are in the substrate)
Anubias (make sure only the roots are in the substrate)
Hygrophilia (most types, some light higher light)
Java Fern
Java Moss
African Water Fern
Jungle Vals
Pennywort
Bacopa (most types)
Swords (most types)
Red Tiger Lotus
Dwarf Lily
Moneywort
Cambomba (most types)
Marsilea
Ludwigia (a couple types)

There's LOTS more, but those would be fairly easy. Go to some plant retail websites (extraplant.com peabodysparadise.com, aquariumplants.com) and see what they have in low light plant sections.

Jungle vals need med light and some type of fert. I'm pretty sure tiger lotus needs med light too. I don't recommend Ludwigia or hygrophila ( exception of hygrophila difformis ) for beginners at plants.

Anubias and java fern both grow a lot better when attached to dw, rock, or something for its roots to grab a hold on. It doesn't do as well when planted in substrate. Tying the anubias and java fern to your fake rock will be good for the plants.

ill definitely look into the anubias and java fern and ill look into some of the others on that list, thanks for all the input guys.

Back
Top Bottom