New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I've had some plants in my tank for about 6 months. I'll admit I didn't do any reading about them and they look pretty bad now. Everything is moving to a new tank in a few weeks so I want to make the new tank "plant-friendly". Couple of questions for you.

What type of gravel do plants like or do certain kinds prefer different types of gravel? If it is the latter, is there a universal plant gravel?

Do certain fish like certain plants? If so I have a zebra danio, 6 neon tetras, and an otto - what do they like?

The lights I have for the tank fit into an Eclispse 3 hood - I don't know what they are - I'm dumb and threw out the boxes - it was like $30 for both of them - I have one white and one blue.

Any plant suggestions for a beginner - I currently have some swordtail, a money plant (don't know the real name), and some tall grass-like stuff. Real technical, I know. Is there a website with plant photos to help me id my current plants.

Ahh, so many questions!

glad you are taking an interest, here is what I would suggest:
Get yourself a good book about planted aquaria. planted tanks are far different than fish only tanks. You need high lighting, fertilized substrate, Probably Co2 injection and good filtration. Your local bookstore should have a fair selection of titles regarding planted aquaria, do that first!

Best plant gravel, Flourite. costly, you can mix it 50-50 with regular gravel, still works well.

Certain plants and fish, I dont think the fish care much which type plants, but some fish will eat plants, and others will dig them up and destroy them. The fish you listed are fine.

Everything is moving to a new tank in a few weeks so I want to make the new tank "plant-friendly".

Stop right there! If you really want a good plant tank, Research, research, and more research, BEFORE starting a new tank. It will save you trouble in the long run.

Stop right there! If you really want a good plant tank, Research, research, and more research, BEFORE starting a new tank. It will save you trouble in the long run.
Is there any way I can do this in stages? Like just buying the substrate now and getting the tank set up. My problem is that I am graduating from college and the FW fish need to be in their new home May 15th. I plan on moving my current plants then too, and hoping that they can hang on for a little longer (they haven't totally died in the time I've had them). I've been in the process of moving my SW tank for the last 2 months, it took longer than I thought. Now I'm afraid due to my poor planning my FW tank will suffer - Bad me! :cry:
Any other suggestions on moving my tank in pieces would be helpful. This is my plan. Set up (scrub and assemble) the 20 G and get substrate this weekend. Bring a couple of gallons of my FW from my current tank and a few scoops of gravel to get everything started this weekend. The 20 G is about a 100 miles away from my current 10 G FW tank.
I just wish I would have started everything a few months earlier!! :x

First, congrats on graduating from college!

Second, Targaboy's links are great! good stuff there, esp. aquabotanic.

Is there any way I can do this in stages? Like just buying the substrate now and getting the tank set up.

Yes, you can do this. Working from the bottom up would be your best bet if you can't do it all at once. I would just not reccomend getting any more plants till you figure out how deep you want to get into the planted tank thing. It can get costly, at least the initial investment in lights, co2, and substrate. after that, the plants are pretty cheap!

This is my plan. Set up (scrub and assemble) the 20 G and get substrate this weekend. Bring a couple of gallons of my FW from my current tank and a few scoops of gravel to get everything started this weekend.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. Moving stinks, especially with tanks, you have my sympathy.

I just plant my plants in normal gravel and keep high lighting and theyre doing fine.

How long have you had them?

How much light do you have?

Okay, so I read through most of the links (work was slow, but it has a very fast internet connection) targaboy suggested. Thanks, they were awesome!

I went to my LFS to take some notes on the stuff they had there. I'm a dork; I always bring a notebook to the LFS.

I saw a CO2 Natural Plant System by Nutrafin that uses sugar. Would this be something that's okay for my 20 gallon? I'm not very handy at all so DIY projects are not really an option for me - if it involves tools, I'm out. It was about $30.

Then I saw the Flourite substrate ($20 for 15 lbs). And then I saw a box of First Layer's Pure Laterite - the box said to use 1 oz. per us gallon. The 20 oz box was $10. So should I go for the Flourite mixed 50/50 with normal gravel or use the box of First Layer with normal gravel? Any experience with this?

Didn't look at lights yet. Thought this was good for today.
8O

And then I saw a box of First Layer's Pure Laterite - the box said to use 1 oz. per us gallon. The 20 oz box was $10.

Go with the laterite if the budget is a concern, it is good stuff, will work with most any gravel.

I saw a CO2 Natural Plant System by Nutrafin that uses sugar. Would this be something that's okay for my 20 gallon? I'm not very handy at all so DIY projects are not really an option for me - if it involves tools, I'm out. It was about $30.

No tools involved, very easy to use. I have a couple and like them a lot. However, untill you get more light, the co2 wont do your plants any good.

IMHO, get the laterite for now, then work on the other aspects, after you settle in to your new place, lighting and such.

Also, you can get better prices for the co2 system at most online fish stores. prolly not so for any substrate, the shipping will kill you.

Back
Top Bottom