new to plants; anatomy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to show my ignorance with this question so please forgive me. I planted these stems I picked up from someone's tank (cardamine lyrata and ludwigia repens). There are a lot of white strands coming off the stems that are somewhat unsightly compared to the stem and leaves themselves.

1) What are these strands called?
2) What are the purpose/function of these strands?
3) Can they be trimmed down somewhat or even removed totally without affecting the plants health?

Attachments

• 20140328_184903-1.jpg
    20140328_184903-1.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20140328_184915-1.jpg
    20140328_184915-1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 49
The white roots you see are called adventitious roots. The plants adds these to help get extra nutrients from the water column as well as what they get through their roots. It's mostly seen on stem plants. In the wild these roots can eventually help the plant root into the soil up along its stem to help hold it in currents as it gets longer. It our nice tanks where we want it to grow upright it's not all that desirable. You can let them grow or trim them off at no harm to the plant. I personally trim the biggest ones off but leave a few on. OS.

What you can do is cut the stem right below the roots and replant that new stem. It has roots so it will regrow.

Back
Top Bottom