New to Plants - General/Equipment advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LetsGoFishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks, I'm new to the forums here and want to get into planted tanks. Artificial plants and colored gravel just don't cut it for me anymore. It's been quite a learning curve with plants but no more than how a beginner learns how a basic tank cycle works I guess. My goal is a medium light tank that does not require CO2, (at least for now anyway).

I've been researching the forums for a while and have somewhat of an idea what I need. My planted tank will be a 50 gal long. It's the same footprint as a 55g, just a little shorter in height, around 17" actual water column depth. The two existing 18" T8 bulbs I realize are woefully inadequate for even a low tech planted tank so they will have to go.

I've decided on:

Eco-Complete black substrate (three 20lb bags)
Two Fluval 305 Filters (I already have these)
Two 48" T5-HO lights (need to get)

I'm thinking about getting these lights: They seem to be a good deal?
T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting

It's my understanding this fixture with two bulbs at 108w total will be right on the edge of medium-to-high light and borderline for requiring CO2. I will likely use the SeaChem Flourish Excel.

Where I'm a little dark is on the use of fertilizers. I've read about the Estimative Index for dosing but should I be getting test kits for phosphates, potassium, etc? I live in N.Texas where the water is moderately hard. With a reasonable bio-load of fish and plants I'm hoping I can stick with my weekly 25% water changes, or would more be needed?

Once this tank is well established I also plan to continue using my 9w UV sterilizer as well. It keeps my existing aquarium sparking clear so I assume it would be okay with plants too?

Thanks for any input!

Welcome to the planted side. Many mysterys and pleasures await you. LOL But I can testify, NOTHING is more rewarding than seeing your tank full of beautiful healthy plants after you finally get it all balanced. Many great people in here will be glad to help you along.
Your 50g long is a great tank for plants. The shorter height will make lighting it properly a little easier. There's two ways to plan. One is choose your equipment first, then research what plants will grow good with that set up. Second way is research what plants you want to grow first, then get the equipment adequate for them.
You UV sterilizer won't effect your plants or ferts at all. It will help control some forms of algae. I love my UV. To lengthen bulb life, I run mine on a timer where it's on only at night for 8 hrs. Running full time is not necessary for clear water. Bulb will last MUCH longer.
Research the plant triad. Light, CO2(carbon), & macro & micro ferts have to be balanced together for the plants you are growing. There are so many different ways to do a planted tank. Ask lots of questions, but do a LOT of your own reading and research then go with what makes a good plan for you. One tip is start with a good substrate. Stay away from real large gravel. Plants need sand, fine gravel, eco-complete type substrates or a combination of these. Stuff fine enough that the roots can take hold in. Some plants will grow not in the substrate but tied to rocks or DW.
The API freshwater master test kit is a great tool for water monitering. You'll need to add the API Phosphate test kit to this also. I usually find it around the saltwater stuff.
Test yout tap for all the tests and get a journal to record and add notes to as you progress into plants. Dry ferts such as PPS-Pro by green leaf aquarium are really good and much cheaper to use than liquid ferts.
Well, there's a start. LOL. Good luck and again, anything we can do to help further, just ask. Regards, OS.

I have that exact same light on my 55 gallon tank and a smaller version on my 36 gallon tank. I love them and you can't beat them for their price and i think right now they have a 50% off promotion code, but then you can't return the item after a week if you use it.

Also, sorry, I don't know of anybody that tests for potassium so I don't think you'll need it. When and if you can, we need to know what your water's Ph and Kh(hardness) is for a start.
On lighting, that fixture will give you medium light. Make sure you get the right temerature bulbs for plants. I think 5000 to 7000K is best for plants. OS.

Welcome to the planted side. Many mysterys and pleasures await you. LOL But I can testify, NOTHING is more rewarding than seeing your tank full of beautiful healthy plants after you finally get it all balanced. Many great people in here will be glad to help you along.
Your 50g long is a great tank for plants. The shorter height will make lighting it properly a little easier. There's two ways to plan. One is choose your equipment first, then research what plants will grow good with that set up. Second way is research what plants you want to grow first, then get the equipment adequate for them.
You UV sterilizer won't effect your plants or ferts at all. It will help control some forms of algae. I love my UV. To lengthen bulb life, I run mine on a timer where it's on only at night for 8 hrs. Running full time is not necessary for clear water. Bulb will last MUCH longer.
Research the plant triad. Light, CO2(carbon), & macro & micro ferts have to be balanced together for the plants you are growing. There are so many different ways to do a planted tank. Ask lots of questions, but do a LOT of your own reading and research then go with what makes a good plan for you. One tip is start with a good substrate. Stay away from real large gravel. Plants need sand, fine gravel, eco-complete type substrates or a combination of these. Stuff fine enough that the roots can take hold in. Some plants will grow not in the substrate but tied to rocks or DW.
The API freshwater master test kit is a great tool for water monitering. You'll need to add the API Phosphate test kit to this also. I usually find it around the saltwater stuff.
Test yout tap for all the tests and get a journal to record and add notes to as you progress into plants. Dry ferts such as PPS-Pro by green leaf aquarium are really good and much cheaper to use than liquid ferts.
Well, there's a start. LOL. Good luck and again, anything we can do to help further, just ask. Regards, OS.

Thanks, I was going to plan on the 6500k bulbs.

Would like to use sand for substrate but it doesn't appear the best suitable type for the majority of plants. I'm not a fan of black, but it seems the Eco-Complete would be a best all around substrate.

My pH never gets below about 7.5, don't know about hardness but I suspect it is on the harder side.

Dry ferts sound good!

I may put my UV sterilizer on a timer as well. I figured the daily cycling of the bulb would decrease the lifespan somewhat too but it can't be any more than having it continuously on either I would think.

I have just plain petco brand sand in my tank and it works fine. For heavy root feeders I just put a ball of clay or a root tab near their roots and they are good to go.

I have just plain petco brand sand in my tank and it works fine. For heavy root feeders I just put a ball of clay or a root tab near their roots and they are good to go.

Still a little undecided on substrate. Initially plans were pool filter sand as they say it's slightly heavier than play sand. My tank is not glass however so have to be careful there? I suppose the canister filters would be fine too I long as I turn them off during water changes/cleaning.

So the Dual 48" T5 lights from fishneedit.com go for $89.99. Is that with the promotional code?

Look for Eco-Complete in another color than black. Check out Flora-Max. I know they make a natural color substrate as that's what I have in my 29g. Good Luck, OS.

The dual 48" one is actually 99.99$ before the promotional code. So it would be around 50$ with it, Just go on the home page and you s=will see the promotion details and the code.
Home Page: fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

how are the lights here compare to other name brand T5HOs? i don't want to hear people say "you get what you paid for" when the light doesn't perform well. i have a 65gal planted tank. it's 36inches long with a depth of 24inches. would a Quad-lamp from this place work? furthermore, they only have arctic or 10000/14000k bulbs, aren't they outside of the 6700k color temperature that's required for plant growth?

You don't want atinic bulbs at all. Plants can use the spectrum of 10-14K but the light is really harsh white (due to the high blue spectrum) IMO and red plants really look washed out in it. Also depending on the species of fish you keep many like tetras don't like that brightness. My fixture came with saltwater reef bulbs and I ordered the proper color spectrum bulbs to replace them with. It just adds to the overall cost of the fixture. If you look at say AquaticLife T5HO fixtures they actually make ones for planted tanks with the proper color spectrum bulbs. They may cost a bit more but if you have to buy new bulbs for a cheaper fixture you often come out about the price.

Back
Top Bottom