New to Plants... need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squealor

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month and a half ago, I decided to set up a tank (having never done one before). I got a great deal on a 46 gallon bow front and set it all up. Cycled with 3 serpae tetras and then have been slowly adding new fish now that the cycle is over.
Well, I did TONS of research on the fish side, but nothing on the plant side. I added 3 plants from the start. One died right away and got yanked. The others are doing ok... not great, not terrible. Just added a few more and decided that I should concentrate some of my research on the plants. :) I have them in gravel only with a normal NO bulb. No fertilizer...
I need to know what to do now to keep these things alive. I just added a Plant Gro CO2 Natural System, but I think it's too small for my tank. Will adding another be enough or do I have to go with something completely different? I'm also buying an All-Glass compact flourescent strip light - 110 watt. That should be adequate, right?
I'm reading the stickies about fertilizing, lighting and CO2, but wanted to make sure I'm doing things ok before I waste my money... :)
Thanks in advance!

I have two Anubias, a sword (not doing well), a wisteria, an elodia, and a small plant that I can't figure out what it is! :)
Would two of those CO2 systems be enough? Or do I need another system? Also, does it matter what type of filter you have with plants? I have an emperor 400 which works great for the fish, but I wasn't sure with the plants.

squealor said:
I have two Anubias, a sword (not doing well), a wisteria, an elodia, and a small plant that I can't figure out what it is! :)

The light that you are getting should be plenty.

Would two of those CO2 systems be enough? Or do I need another system?

Two will be just fine.

Also, does it matter what type of filter you have with plants? I have an emperor 400 which works great for the fish, but I wasn't sure with the plants.

Not really, no, although with most planrs its best to avoid anything that blasts our strong current, but your Emperor is just fine.

If you are going to be running CO2, you may need to add some fertiliser to your tank, too.

This being a new tank the sword is searching for nutrients in the gravel and coming up empty. For crypts and swords and other heavy root feeders get yourself some root tabs (or make them yourself) and your sword should respond to that.

Do you have any salt or medication in your tank? Plants don't usually like those.

you can also get a substrate that is for root feeding plants and pot your swords or replace the substrate under and around them with it.. like eco-complete (you wouldnt have to buy as much of it that way) as an alternitive to root tabs..

Carbon is great for removing medications and sometimes even discoloration from the water but otherwise it is neither doing harm nor being of particular benefit. After about a week it becomes clogged and is biomedia, anyway. Leave it or chuck it, your call. :D

Ok, cool. I thought I read somewhere that carbon can remove trace elements that plants need. It's a couple weeks old now, so I guess it doesn't matter either way. It probably isn't doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom