New to Potted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doobiedoo12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm setting up my first potted tank. Is there someone who can give me the low down on equipment needed and chemicals? I'm going with all easy plants and I bought a sick light with 6 different colors n what not. I am just unsure on how many fish to plants to chemicals to thus co2 system you speak of. It's a 90 gallon and I have a 120 gallon eheim filter in it.

1490917542620.jpg

Welcome aboard.

Looks like tank already set up. Lots of stocking options for a 90. You'll want to post your parameters with kh/gh so. As far as how many plants? As many as you want or your wallet can take.

There is a sticky for co2 basics you can read up on.

What is kh/gh? I've only begun planting. I spent 400 today on new equipment and filter media and what not so I'm strapped for now money wise. I'm not rushing bc the filter needs to re adjust so I want to read everything that I can and really know this. I love everyone's set up here.

Right now I have 4 plants. I'll be adding a lot more. I want the whole right side to be a jungle and the other side low plants and open for fish to come out and swim

Gh ...general hardness
Kh...carbonate hardness

That with ph gives a good idea on species work best

I haven't really thought of that. I didn't know it that these were factors. When I get home I'll take pictures of the plants I bought today. I didn't write down the names of them like I should have. I want to start easy for now though as I learn.

It's like starting with a beta and not an Oscar. I have a lot to learn I know that

We all have alot to learn. This is a great place to get started. Great folks here.

Are there any articles you recommend reading to get me started? Chemicals wise and co2. Basic needs to get me going

Im a seachem fan. Most prefer EI and PPS. Which on a 90 you probably need to look at dry formulation.

Google EI and PPS pro and start there. Im guessing your low par

PPS pro and EI are simple. U buy the required salts (kno3,kh2po4,k2so4 etc) and dose them to what it says. With PPS pro u make a solution with the salts and with EI u can make a solution or just dry dose. Google a guide to dosing them and read up. It's really simple once u get going.

For co2 u can use seachem excel but that will become expensive. Your better off with a pressurised system. You'll need a co2 inline atomizer or reactor for a tank that size tho.

Good beginner plants are:
Java fern of all types
Crypts of all types
Amazon swords
Mosses of most types
Bacopa

Which c02 atomizer or reactor is good for my tank that won't break the bank

Back
Top Bottom