The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floggz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'day guys

I just sold my 6ft Cichlid tank & I'm just about to buy a aqua one 980t to start a planted tank.
I wanna know if I've chosen the right tank for this & if I can get away with just having a coral sand substrate.
I'm leaving the tank as is...only adding a internal filter.
Would this work?

It really depends on what type of plants you are getting. If some of the plants you are getting are heavy root feeders, then they will like a nutrient rich substrate. Also SW substrate will make the water a little salty. Are you keeping the same SW light?

Thanx for reply
Yeah I think I'm keeping the standard light.
I really wanna carpet the tank with dwarf hg,I was thinking of putting java moss on a peice of driftwood to make it look like a tree & some other hardy plants.
Do u think that'll work & what's ur opinion on the tank?

Why does it seem everyone person who wants to start a planted tank want to start with dwarf hg :lol:. What light do you have? Dh needs high light. If you want a carpet of plants that are low-med light, dwarf sag, four leaf clover, marsilea minueta, pennywort, and types of hydrocotle are good ground cover plants. A moss tree would look good. How many gallons is the tank?

The tank is roughly 230 liters which is about 55g.
To be honest I'll put anything as long as it carpets & looks good.
It also has to work well with med lighting...not asking for much am I ??

Ok 55g is a good size. You can fit a nice large centerpiece driftwood and have the top covered in moss. I think dwarf sag is a great carpeting plants though nothing matches up to beauty of a dh carpet. Dwarf sag grows quickly and spreads quickly as well.

The main problem you have is the coral sand. It will raise the ph and hardness of the water. The ph will usually spike to around 8 which is not suitable for most fish and plants. I suggest you switch to normal aquarium sand or a plant specific substrate.

Back
Top Bottom