newbie needs advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildy91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive just sold my african chiclids and i am setting up a 6,2,2 planted tank.

Ok ive added laterite to the base and have 3 plant growing bulbs adding up to 140watts in total , i have also bought fertilizer ,do i need co2 or will i have success with this setup because they are quite expensive and i will need a pressure canister, any advice please..........Plants come this week

If your tank is 6'X2'x2' then it's pretty close to a 180 gallon tank. What kind of "plant growing bulbs" are you using? If they are standard NO florescent tubes then you really need to at a minimum double the number of bulbs. Even then you may have problems do to the depth of your tank. As long you you keep your lighting around 2 watts per gallon you don't "NEED" CO2, now if you meant "should" you have CO2 the answer to that is yes you should.

I have floresant tubes for plant growing(thats what they were sold as), what kind of set up do i need for co2 ,are they easy to maintain and are they expensive.....???

Ok, first thing is you need more light. Then work on the CO2. For a tank the size of the one we are talking about here the only way to go is pressurized. At a minimum you will need a cylinder, regulator, needle valve, bubble counter and reactor.

I'm not familiar with sources in the UK but the stuff can't be that hard to find. If you were in the US you could set the whole thing up for around $125-$150. Then the only thing you need to do is play with it for a day or so to get the bubble rate right for your tank and then fill the cylinder when it gets close to empty.

If you have a cannister filter you can make your own reactor out of PVC pipe and plumb it into the return line on the filter.

is it expensive to refill the co2 cannister and where would you fill it i.e. your local aquatic dealer or perhaps a gas merchants..

I pay $12 or so to get my tank refilled at a welding shop. The place carries other gasses too, so I guess that would be the equivalent of your Gas Merchant.

At least near me, the lfs doesn't carry or refill pressurized co2.

350 grams is a TINY bottle. I know us Yanks are backwards, but we get 5lb bottles or bigger. Thats 2.3 Kilos, I believe.

The rest of the equipment looks solid, but I don't have a lot of experience shopping for this stuff. I'd keep looking if I were you.

DIY is totally impractical for a tank this size (180 gallons). You would have to have so many 2 liter bottles set up, and change them so often, it would be way more trouble than its worth.

ok im gonna try a welding merchants, roughly how long does your 3.5kg last before refilling and what would i need from the welding shop ,also how do you set this up >>>

Aquamedic stuff is good stuff. I would get a much larger cylinder than a 350 gram one though. Check welding shops, fire extinguisher shops and if you have a place that sells home brewing supplies (for beer) check there also.

I would suggest that you get the regulator and bubble counter on the link you posted. You could even get the reactor if you don't want to build your own. But get the bottle elsewhere.

Asking how long a CO2 cylinder lasts is like asking how long a tank of gas lasts in your car. They are all different. But a decent sized cylinder should last you at least a year.

Aquamedic CO2 Reactor Type 500

Deltec CO2 Twin Guage Regulator

Aquamedic Bubble Counter

Will all of these be compatible with each other and a comercial gas bottle, and will i need the regulator before i get the bottle.......is the bubble counter where the Co2 is released into the tank and will that reactor be big enough....

http://www.ultimateaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/CO2_Equipment.html

They will all work together. In fact if you read the description the regulator says it fits all commercial CO2 bottles. The bubble counter goes into the setup right after the regulator/needle valve so you can monitor the amount of CO2 entering the reactor. The description of the reactor says it will work with tanks up to 500 liters. So unless your tank is over 500 liters you are set. If you don't have a cannister filter you will need a small pump to power the reactor.

I have a canister filter a fluval 404, and my tank is 650litres will it be be necessary to upgrade as the larger model is alot more expensive accounting for gravel and bog wood etc....How do i connect my fluval outlet tube to the reactor...

If your tank is 650 liters then you will want the larger reactor. How you fit in on depends on how much difference there is between your hoses and the fittings. I would ask the place you buy the reactor from what you need to hook it up.

Back
Top Bottom