Newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that bulb is more than enough for a normal 10gal fish tank. having a CO2 system depends on how many plants you have

I really have nothing yet, but i am looking for it be slightly planted....should I look to get a lower one like 15 watts?

really im not into plants too much, i have two 15 watt bulbs in my 55 gal if that helps. the 20 watt bulb could be ok if you want some needy plants, but thats all i know

Moved to Planted tank forum.

You will definitely need CO2 if you use those bulbs. If you use the 15w, you may not have to. The wpg rule breaks down in small tanks.

With only 15 watts over a 10 gallon tank you would be looking at low light and a limited plant selection. This isn't all bad however, since you wouldn't need CO2 and minimal fert dosing. You should still be able to do some very nice things with the tank if you select your plants well.

I am assuming you are going to use 2 15 watt bulbs, since a hood that holds screw in bulbs, holds 2 of them. That would give you 30 watts over the tank, or 3 watts per gallon which would be like medium light over a 10g. That would give you alot of plant choices and if you have enough plants in the tank, you won't need CO2. If you use that lighting and only have a couple plants, you will run into algae problems. I suggest getting atleast a couple different stem plants so they will grow fast and outcompete the algae.

CO2 isn't that big of a deal. If you are up to the task of changing a 2L bottle every 2-3 weeks then I'd recommend the 20w bulbs. Really isn't that hard to do. I've got a jello version going for nearly 3 weeks, I'd say it may have another 7-10 days in it before I need to change.

The problem (in my mind) with those two screw in bulbs is that your tank won't get a very good spread of light. Doubt you'd be getting all 30/40w in the tank either as the reflector will be sub-par. Even with 40w over the tank with those kinds of lights and the reflector, I'd say medium light plants are about all the higher you'll get. High light plants would struggle.

when i started planting one of my tanks i invested in eco-complete. you have probably heard of it before but if you havent go check it out. it is a great source of nutrients for your plants. i only have 1.5 WPG and my plants grow like crazy. i do not use Co2 or fert and the plants still look great. im not sure what your budget is but to me it seemed worth it.

where can I buy 15 watt CF bulbs I went to different stores and they only have 10 watt bulbs, I heard walmart sells them but what exactly should I look for? Also what is 'eco-complete' substrate? and where could I buy it? thanks again.

Generally you're only going to find 10 watt bulbs specifically for replacing incadescent bulbs in aquariums. To find higher wattages you'll need to look for the bulbs in with the rest of the light bulbs for replacing bulbs in regular lamps and such. Often these don't list the kelvin rating, so you want to find those marked Daylight bulbs and avoid the ones marked Cool White.

EcoComplete is a substrate designed especially for growing aquatic plants and is available in some LFS. If non of the LFS in your area carry or can special order it, you would need to order online. AquariumPlant.com often has specials on it with shipping included. This is a great deal if you can take advantage of it.

You can find higher watt screw in bulbs in the lighting section at Walmart. The brand I get is Lights of America. They say "daylight" on the package and if you flip it over, on the back it says 6500K in small print. :)

They are about $8 for 2.

so one bag of eco complete would cost $30 + tax so it would be like $32. and thanks 'JustOneMore20' I will look for those bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom