Newbie setting up a 10 gallon planted tank, tell me how it looks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jigabodo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Specs for my tank:
- 10 gallon
- Filter: aquaclear 20 HOB (I took out the activated carbon and replaced it with some extra biomax rings)
- 20W CFL bulbs
- 2 pieces of malaysian driftwood
- Dosing flourish comprehensive 2x a week
- Temperature is kept at 75F

Current inhabitants:
8 white cloud minnows
1 male plakat betta
2 amano shrimp

Plant list:
Java moss (big bunch)
hornwort
2 banana plants
1 cardinal plant
1 marimo moss ball
Java fern
...and some unknown plant that I got from my LFS. Please help me identify!

Does this seem like a decent set up? Should I get more plants, more fish, or keep the tank the way it is?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 92
I would say you are maxed out on fish :) Better to be lightly stocked than over stocked. Can you take a better pic of your unknown plant?

You can try Anubias or a Crypt in there. Crypt wendtii grows easily for me.

If you have two 20watt bulbs, that's a lot of light over a 10g. You may need to add DIY CO2 or at least Flourish Excel. Start at half dose and see how your Shrimp do with it. Gradually increase. With no CO2 and lots of light you may grow too much Algae. After you tank is more established you could try a single Nerite snail.

Staurogyne repens might grow well for you also. Or you can try a prettier Moss on your wood, like Flame or Mini Xmas.

Here is an update of my newly planted 10 gallon, with pictures. I've rearranged the tank, took out some plants and added a few new ones as well.

I used some fishing lines to attach the java moss to 2 pieces of driftwood. I also took out my hornwort (because they are making a such a mess) and put in some water wisteria instead. The people at my LFS was also kind enough to give me a baby crypt for free; it seems to be acclimated quite well in there as well.

I dose flourish comprehensive and API CO2 booster 2x a week. I only use 1/4 of the recommended dose of CO2 booster for my tank though, since I do have some amano shrimp in there. The light stays on about 10 hours a day; I have 2WPG of 6700K CFL.

Any comments or feedbacks are much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 65
i think it looks great! i love the java moss on the drift wood. i have java growing on my bridge in my tank. and i think many of us like the moss balls. i like the way you stacked the driftwood. it's very cool. good job! :)

Back
Top Bottom