Newbie to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy04

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I'm new to having plants in an aquarium and I had a few questions on how to keep my plants alive and thriving. I have a 46g bow tank with a T5 HO dual lamp light which contains one 6,000k lamp and one roseate lamp. The plants I currently have are an amazon sword, Cardamine Lyrata and java moss. As for fish there are currently 5 cardinal tetras as I just finished my fish less cycle. The fish I plan on putting are rummy nose, German blue rams, dwarf gourami, red tail shark, nerite snails, and cherry red shrimp. Now to the questions. Smiley face

1) is my fish stocking going to do any harm to the plants?
2) what should my temp and pH level be at?
3)what additives should I be giving the plants?
4) what should I be testing my water for in regards to the plants?
5)how long should my light be on a day?

Thank you in advance for all the help and responses

1) is my fish stocking going to do any harm to the plants?
2) what should my temp and pH level be at?
3)what additives should I be giving the plants?
4) what should I be testing my water for in regards to the plants?
5)how long should my light be on a day?

The stocking is fine but a RTS gets way too large if memory serves me for that size tank. Other than that your fine as will your plants be. I keep my community tank at 78F which works well for community fish you listed. You don't need to worry about what you think your ph should be, fish do better with a stable ph and acclimate to what the tank is. But you should have a test kit and keep tabs on the ph. I test for nitrates and phosphates in my planted tanks. In a planted tank nitrates do well at 10-20ppm and phosphates at .5-1.0ppms. As for additives I suggest using liquid carbon, such as Flourish Excel to aid in photosynthesis and plant growth and at least using a liquid fert such as Seachem Comprehensive weekly and also possibly using API leaf zone also as it contains potassium and iron. Lighting between 6-8 hours a day max.

Back
Top Bottom