Newly planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve never had a planted aquarium before now. Always have use the plastic plants but decided to look a little more realistic with my new 55 gallon aquarium. I’m having a bit of trouble keeping some of the plants planted because they have very little root system. The crowns are supposed to be above the substrate so they want to float to the top every other day. Any suggestions on keeping these plants in the ground? These are the Sword fern variety, bolbitis difformis. The substrate is Caribsea Eco Complete, and I’m using Seachem Flourish weekly. The lighting is LED white and blue (not sure of Kelvin temp)Any tips for healthy plants ?

Well to start, look for the name and manufacture of the light, this will tell us your lighting levels. Likely you have a low output light so low availability for plants.

But, that doesn’t mean you can’t grow plants. The ones you described are low light plants so they should grow decent for you, even when only using flourish.

To anchor them down:
1) go out and find some small stones/pebbles. Super glue (gel type) the plant rhizome to the rock, and it will sink and stay put.
2) wedge then between rocks/decor/substrate leaving the rhizomes decently exposed.
3) pick up cheap fishing line or thread and tie plants to small rocks/decor.
4) you can use elastic bands to attach, although these could sometimes have nasties in them
5) try and plant just the roots, you c am do this by planting them and the rhizome, then gently pull the rhizome out leaving the roots covered.

Back
Top Bottom