Newly planted pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b4tn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, all of you have been listening to one dumb question after another and all happily replying. THANKS! I go lots of good advise and am starting to feel comfortable with things. Here are the specs:

Planted for 1 week.
42 gallon
Fluval 204 canister
Dennerle pressurized CO2 with PH controller

Yesterday I spent the beter part of the morning with a set of tweezers planting glosso. My loaches are uprooting some as you can see some floating on the top. I know the substrate is a little big but it is very pourus and roots grow right through the center of the rocks. The plants dont seem to mind it at all. The bag said special substrate for planted tanks. You cant see in the pics but under that is a 1" layer of mud.

The Egeria Najas is growing at a tremendous rate! I am going to have to do lots of pruning to keep it under control

All the other plants look pretty healthy except for the Vals. It is weird, they are growing. At the bottom of each plant there is new growth but all the old growth leaves look very sickly.

New lighting is on the way, I can tell I need more as alot of the plants are sending shoots upward then budding about 3" below the surface.

Thanks again for everyones help.
If you are interested in cars my other obsession can be seen here
http://ibpwr.com

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

I think it is both actually, K is barley .5 and NO3 is 5. I ordered some stuff from Greg though, hopefully it will be here soon. In the meantime I am using a trace liquid that raises FE and K and added a few more fish in hopes of getting NO3 up a bit.

it looks like your going to be able to catch it early.. thats great.. at least you have a plan.. good luck :p
I wouldnt use more/extra fish to get the NO3 up.. dosing the ferts from greg would be the best option.. HTH

that's a BEAUTIFUL piece of driftwood! you're tank looks great!

Thanks for all the nice comments I wasnt going to post any pictures because it looks so bare to me compared to some of the more "Professional " tanks. I want the plants to be more dense I am hoping time will help make it denser.

The drift wood is real. The pieces on the right are actually two that I fitted together. It is drift wood from savanna.

Any aquascaping advise for plants to help fill in the back are appreciated. I went through plantgeek guide looking for some bushy plants but its hard to tell from the pictures how they will turn out.

You are off to a great start. Beautiful tank and plants. The Vals will make great background plants. If you're looking for bushy plants you might consider some of the Rotala varieties and possibly some Ludwigia for a little red. Two of my favorites. I'm guessing that you've got great access to a wide variety of species over in Germany. I'm jealous :p

travis simonson said:
I'm guessing that you've got great access to a wide variety of species over in Germany. I'm jealous :p

More than I ever imagined. unfortunately it has its ups and downs. First off that I dont speak German :lol: so it is difficult finding specific species of fish and plant without actually visually recognizing them. I did find a VERY large pet store though, probably one of the biggest I have ever seen in my life it is the size of a home depot with two floors and has everything you can imagine related to ponds, aquarium, critters, and animals. It puts petsmart to shame and everything looks...healthier. But I still get paid in dollars and not only is stuff in Germany expensive to start but the dollar is week so I have to pay about more than 1/3 more for anything electronic (220v over here) or chemical (USPS wont ship chemicals). Other stuff I want cheaper I have to wait a couple weeks for shipping :D Also allot of the popular name brands you all discuss are not available here. They have there own product lines here, large selection, just different brands. Luckily just about everything is multi lingual for french, german, and Great britain :D

Its an exclent tank. Dont worry about it being bushy, mine is still so sparse :(

Back
Top Bottom