Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
newly planted today - quick c02 question

hey guys,

just finished setting up my newly planted c02 tank today, as in, 5 mins ago.

set up is:

8 gallon (30 litre)
3 x t5 8 watt lighting
small aqua-one internal filter - DIY c02 will be rigged up the output of this
two pieces of driftwood
assorted small rocks
aqua-soil amazonia black substrate

plants are:

java moss - mesh wall and wrapped around driftwood
java fern - wedged into driftwood
amazon frogbit - free floating
a mish mash of hornwort attached to the driftwood currentky - which is looking a bit sick
carpet i'm attempting is made of hemianthus micranthemoides

so, i've literally just set it up; light is on, water is about to be conditioned, heater on. when do i add the c02?

i have shrimp and snails and guppies and a bristlenose...when could they be added? pics attached - still cloudy, i'll have updates later this afternoon.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	90384   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	90385  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	90386   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	90387  

__________________

__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by themox
hey guys,

just finished setting up my newly planted c02 tank today, as in, 5 mins ago.

set up is:

8 gallon (30 litre)
3 x t5 8 watt lighting
small aqua-one internal filter - DIY c02 will be rigged up the output of this
two pieces of driftwood
assorted small rocks
aqua-soil amazonia black substrate

plants are:

java moss - mesh wall and wrapped around driftwood
java fern - wedged into driftwood
amazon frogbit - free floating
a mish mash of hornwort attached to the driftwood currentky - which is looking a bit sick
carpet i'm attempting is made of hemianthus micranthemoides

so, i've literally just set it up; light is on, water is about to be conditioned, heater on. when do i add the c02?

i have shrimp and snails and guppies and a bristlenose...when could they be added? pics attached - still cloudy, i'll have updates later this afternoon.

thanks!
DO NOT ADD FISH !!!
Aqua Soil takes at least 4-6 weeks to stop leaching Ammonia ( or Ammonium I forget which ). It's GREAT for plants But still has to cycle.

A Bristlenose Pleco is to big for an 8g IMHO Find a Pitbull Pleco or just do Shrimp and Snails.

AS is a pain to plant in but my plants look great and the PH is very low as expected. Mine will be my CRS tank. Going to drip acclimate some this week.
__________________

__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Coursair is right on! Aqua soil can also make your PH drop like crazy for the first few weeks before it starts to stabilize. Monitor your ammonia and PH while it cycles. If you have another tank, you can test the PH in both tanks and compare how much the Aqua Soil really does drop the PH of your tap water. It shouldn't last longer than the normal cycle time though. Some people mix in a little crushed coral or put a bag of it in their filter to help buffer against the ph drop from the Aqua Soil. probably not an option with an internal filter. Just wait it out and once your ammonia and nitrate are both 0 you can add your fish.

I know a guy who breeds bushynose plecos. He keeps the babies in a 10 gallon to grow them out a bit before selling them or adding them to a bigger tank. (that's where I got mine) One small one will do fine in an 8 gallon with driftwood for a long time. You just might need to give him a bigger home or trade him for something different later.

About co2, you can start it now. The plants should love it. If you find some of your plants melting it won't be from the co2. Aqua Soil sometimes causes that. Just do some big water changes if you see crazy ammonia levels. Melted plants often come back with AS.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
aqua_chem's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 6,757
How much you tap drops will be mainly dependent on your tap's carbonate content. High KH and you won't see much of a change at all.

The pH shouldn't be low enough to cause an issue. If you think it is, just do a water change (not an issue on a tank that size).

There really aren't any vertebrate algae eaters that are great in tanks less than 10g. Otos can work, but they really want a group, which is problematic in 8g. No plecos will work in a tank that size long term.
__________________
Algae creates 75% of the world's oxygen, so really we're all just doing our parts...
aqua_chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
thanks guys for your comments and help. I didn't mention, but should have, that the aquasoil is 6 months old. it is second hand from a friend; will the PH still drop even though it's already been used in a tank?

the pleco I've had in that tank before, and is still quite small - only about 3cm (1ish inches) and for the time being I'd like to keep him but understand he'll probably eventually have to go.

with the new plants just starting out though; will he and the snail knock them out of the substrate? he skims along the ground super fast, and my snail usually sludges over everything and is quite clumsy; i'm concerned that when i do add them, they'll start knocking things down - mainly just the planted HM.

they're all still in their small tank. I'll wait to hear back about when to put them in. am happy to wait if you think I should.

C02 I'll start today then! excellent
__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 4,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by themox
thanks guys for your comments and help. I didn't mention, but should have, that the aquasoil is 6 months old. it is second hand from a friend; will the PH still drop even though it's already been used in a tank?

the pleco I've had in that tank before, and is still quite small - only about 3cm (1ish inches) and for the time being I'd like to keep him but understand he'll probably eventually have to go.

with the new plants just starting out though; will he and the snail knock them out of the substrate? he skims along the ground super fast, and my snail usually sludges over everything and is quite clumsy; i'm concerned that when i do add them, they'll start knocking things down - mainly just the planted HM.

they're all still in their small tank. I'll wait to hear back about when to put them in. am happy to wait if you think I should.

C02 I'll start today then! excellent
AS is so light, plants dont stay planted until they get some long roots YMMV. I keep uprooting mine everytime I try to do something in the tank.
Mine is a 5.5g.

My PH is low, but I wanted it low for my CRS.
I bought Amazonia for that purpose
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair

AS is so light, plants dont stay planted until they get some long roots YMMV. I keep uprooting mine everytime I try to do something in the tank.
Mine is a 5.5g.

My PH is low, but I wanted it low for my CRS.
I bought Amazonia for that purpose
do you think it would still effect my PH given its 6 months old? by that I mean, it has been used in a tank for 6 moths prior to now
__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
just checked my PH as well as the others. readings were

PH - 6.8-7.0
Amm - 0-0.25
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 0

Ammonia looks to be dropping off, but i'm still doing quite large water changes daily. At least 50%.

I added some carbon to the filter to remove a lot of the cloudiness the aquasoil caused in the tank. The stuff has left a soot-like covering on top of the plants. It was very cloudy but since adding a small amount of carbon it has seemed to slow...does that adversely affect the plant growth however, or not much that it's a concern?

HM isn't growing yet but i'm assuming it takes a while to kick off. I would have loved to have planted much more but it's so hard in such a small tank and i like my driftwood.

How long does it take to root and begin to start growing? I'm hoping to add guppies and potentially a shrimp later in the week if readings hit 0. I'm convinced that the aquasoil has not changed the PH considering it's 6 months old and has been used before. If it has by any stretch, then as aquachem has stated, it appears very minimal.
__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 4,513
Old AS does break down. Be gentle when you move it. I'm new to it, but if Google it you'll get a ton of people posting about it.
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Old AS does break down. Be gentle when you move it. I'm new to it, but if Google it you'll get a ton of people posting about it.
i've read it can actually absorb nutrients from fertilizers from the water column and provide it more easily to the roots of plants. people seem to have different experiences with its lifetime though from what i see.

i'm so impatient, i want to add my fish

cours...do you grow hemianthus micra? any tips?
__________________

__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ick, plant, planted, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Aquarium News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Aquarium News in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]