New's 29 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have decided to dive into the planted world, but I'm going to need some help along the way ;)

I am upgrading my 10 gallon planted to a 29 gallon tank. This will be a slower build as I am still in school and money doesn't come by that often but I'm doing the best with what I have :)

Substrate: sand
Dosing: CO2 Daily
Seachem flourish 2-3 times a week
Root tabs 2-3 months

Light: nat. Geo. Programmable LED light

Filter: aqua-tech 20-40 and aqua-tech 10-20

Plants: (obtained from friends some purchased)
Jungle val
Anubias nana
Amazon sword
Star repens
Crypt
anubias (cant remember what kind..)
Telanthera cardinalis
Java moss

Fish:
Dwarf gourami
6 neon tetras

Plans

Equipment:
DIY CO2 (later moving to pressurized)
Satellite LED+ light
Fluval C4 HOB filter
PPS-pro

Fish: (may change and ran through aqadvisor)
GBR pair
Dwarf gourami
5 kuhli loaches
8 serpae tetra
12 neon tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407590188489.jpg
    1407590188489.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 98
Sorry about the cloudy water just added the driftwood and rocks. Hoping to get a new piece of driftwood but that's all I have for now. Any advice on scape is appreciated. Where to put plants and if anything should be moved. Was thinking about leaving the space in the middle for open swim room maybe narrowing the gap between the rocks and the driftwood or turn my driftwood piece around?

Also i need some background plants. Or if anything should be added or even taken away I have a low light betta tank I could move some plants to.

I will post a general idea of where I think the plants should go when I get time to draw it out:)

Looks good. Some rotala rotundifolia for the back could be nice. Work with the driftwood a lot until you get it how you like it. Hard scape is important!!

Looks good. Some rotala rotundifolia for the back could be nice. Work with the driftwood a lot until you get it how you like it. Hard scape is important!!

Thanks not expecting it to be perfect the first time I would like to get some DW that's more tree like and top it with java moss I think those look so cool! Going to attempt that with this one but it might look like a pretty funny tree haha. I turned it around and I really like how it looks now! I built the rock formation had to cut it down to about half the sized looked great out of the tank but when I put it in I didnt have room for anything else :p

I think ill get rid of the jungle val once I get some other background plants just not liking the way it looks...

Thanks not expecting it to be perfect the first time I would like to get some DW that's more tree like and top it with java moss I think those look so cool! Going to attempt that with this one but it might look like a pretty funny tree haha. I turned it around and I really like how it looks now! I built the rock formation had to cut it down to about half the sized looked great out of the tank but when I put it in I didnt have room for anything else :p

Most people hate java moss. Weeping, xmas, or flame might be a better idea.

Most people hate java moss. Weeping, xmas, or flame might be a better idea.

Ok I'm running to all the lfs today so I'll see what they have. Last time java was the only kind available... and now I have tons of it! I dont even know whay to do with it all...

Switched the DW around good or bad? Maybe I should off center it a little?

Star repens in front. Crypt by dw with cardinalis behind. Cant see it very well but Amazon sword to the left (while looking at pic) of the rocks kinda set behind. Jungle val in back

Attachments

• 1407593376208.jpg
    1407593376208.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 95
Not bad. That rock seems a bit intrusive imo. Maybe bury it a bit more? Hard to see well now.

Good luck!

Yea sand might not of been the best idea but it fit the budget lol

Thank you!

Any one have an information about telanthera cardinalis I got it bc it was the only red plant in my area. I've read that its a good background plant? Any opinions also that it's moderate light and needs root tabs.

Any one have an information about telanthera cardinalis I got it bc it was the only red plant in my area. I've read that its a good background plant? Any opinions also that it's moderate light and needs root tabs.

Its growing well in my 20 H with a planted +, injected co2 and PPS pro. Root tabs also are under it. Co2 is not super necessary for it. Grows fairly average speed. A bit of die off after transport (poor planning by me so couldn't plant it very soon) but new growth is really nice. Does best in medium or high light.

Its growing well in my 20 H with a planted +, injected co2 and PPS pro. Root tabs also are under it. Co2 is not super necessary for it. Grows fairly average speed. A bit of die off after transport (poor planning by me so couldn't plant it very soon) but new growth is really nice. Does best in medium or high light.

Ok thanks! Might not have enough light atm but I will have moderate hopefully soon :) is it a background plant?

Ok sorry probably sound like stupid questions :D

Ok sorry probably sound like stupid questions :D

No you're fine. They seem dumb but they really aren't obvious. There are lots of rules with lots of exceptions. For example, most stem plants go in the middle-back but staurogyne repens is just one of many stem plants that grow low and carpet in medium light, but under low light it grows straight. So its rather complicated.

No you're fine. They seem dumb but they really aren't obvious. There are lots of rules with lots of exceptions. For example, most stem plants go in the middle-back but staurogyne repens is just one of many stem plants that grow low and carpet in medium light, but under low light it grows straight. So its rather complicated.

Wow yea it seems complicated lol oh well it all very interesting and I love learning about it :)

Picked up some wisteria and rotala today:)

Not sure it just said rotala It looked kind of bronzeish red but it look healthy

Back
Top Bottom