Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm also thinking of doing a small tank for my puffer fish I have named bob Marley

John,
Trust me I am not insane

Hey guys, finally got the tank today! It's a Tetra 5.5 gallon. I would go ahead and order the stuff already, but I'm kinda broke. Once I get the filter, I'm going to let it run on the current 2.5 so it'll be seeded once I hook up the 5.5. I was thinking about doing guppy grass in the big left part of this tank, anyone have any experience with it? Also, what do you guys think about a carpet plant like DHG?

Nils

Ok I guess I'll skip the DHG :) What scape and plants do you guys recommend? I'm keeping the current scape exactly the same, but if I do that then there's going to be a huge empty space on the left. I was thinking some more slate jutting out of the substrate, facing towards the right side, and then some guppy grass or whatever plant around it. I'm up for whatever you guys recommend.

Nils

Ok I guess I'll skip the DHG :) What scape and plants do you guys recommend? I'm keeping the current scape exactly the same, but if I do that then there's going to be a huge empty space on the left. I was thinking some more slate jutting out of the substrate, facing towards the right side, and then some guppy grass or whatever plant around it. I'm up for whatever you guys recommend.

Nils

You could try dwarf sag or some star Repens

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have no real input on what plants to use, but I've always thought tanks can look good with the scape being on one side and the rest wide open

Yeah, I was thinking that I might just do the hardscape with the slate I already have, with maybe some more, and then the side just open with a lot of jungly, fast growing plants. Also, does anyone know any good DIY Co2 mixtures? I'm looking for a good one in proportion with my Deer Park standard water bottle that I'll be using.

Nils

Can anyone help me? I'm really ready to do this but I have no idea what to plant or do wight he open side of the tank!

Thanks Caleb. I was originally looking into val's, but I saw some dwarf sag at the LFS that looks almost exactly the same, doesn't get as big and grows lots faster. Already shooting out little plants! Any opinions about a female cray with the male and puffer?

Nils

Thanks Caleb. I was originally looking into val's, but I saw some dwarf sag at the LFS that looks almost exactly the same, doesn't get as big and grows lots faster. Already shooting out little plants! Any opinions about a female cray with the male and puffer?

Nils

Honestly I wouldn't even trust the puffer and the one crayfish together. I don't think it's worth risking the awesome balance you already have.

also two crayfish would be waaaay overstocking.

Yea it was just an idea...figured if I could why not and make a little $$$$ while I was at it. I'll just keep it as it is, my mom probably wouldn't let me anyway lol.

Ok so now I have a different problem: ALGAE!! It gets on everything and I can't figure out why. I only have the lights on 6-7 hours a day, it isn't even bright and I only feed what I see my fish eat. Can anyone help me?

Well, it happens mostly on the end of the dwarf sag's leaves, it looks like dark green hair algae there, but if two leaves are intersecting each other, it'll make a web in between the two leaves. It isn't too bad, but I don't want the new tank to be infested with algae from the previous tank either.

Ok major change of plans. I decided to use my Aqueon 10 after I really thought about it, and I realized "Hey, why would I spend $30 on a canister filter when I could use a filter I already have and make it better?" So I went out and bought two Biomax media bags and a 3-pack of Aquaclear sponges. So right now I'm letting the 10 run on my 16 for a while, and when the lights come in an ready to do the move I'll use that filter. I was looking into some cryptocrynes to fill in the space, what species do you recommend?

Ok major change of plans. I decided to use my Aqueon 10 after I really thought about it, and I realized "Hey, why would I spend $30 on a canister filter when I could use a filter I already have and make it better?" So I went out and bought two Biomax media bags and a 3-pack of Aquaclear sponges. So right now I'm letting the 10 run on my 16 for a while, and when the lights come in an ready to do the move I'll use that filter. I was looking into some cryptocrynes to fill in the space, what species do you recommend?

Cryptocrynes wendetii ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430002478.397681.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430002494.627811.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430002514.594703.jpg those are my 3 young ones!!! There growing like crazy!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Thanks Rocky! I'll be adding root tabs and dosing API Co2 Booster every other day, I'm going to hold off on DIY Co2 for a little. Do you think that would be enough to keep these guys growing?

Thanks Rocky! I'll be adding root tabs and dosing API Co2 Booster every other day, I'm going to hold off on DIY Co2 for a little. Do you think that would be enough to keep these guys growing?

I use root tabs and dose florish and leaf zone. My tank has direct sunlight but I have no algae what's so ever sooooo I think u should be fine

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Back
Top Bottom