Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got some top soil today for the 10, slowly but surely I am getting everything together. Got the heater already, all I really need now is the light, some sand and the canister. For the dirted tank, do I have to bake the dirt first to sterilize it or is it could to go out of the bag? Think I'm going to bake it just to be sure. I've read some conflicting stuff on dirted tanks about not being able to add fish for several months, being able to add fish a couple weeks after etc. Guess it really depends on how much is released from under the sand cap right? Also, when cycling the tank, will I have to feed the tank or will the soil provide enough ammonia to put the tank through a cycle? Really new to all this

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451874668.545620.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  43.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sweet, don't think the other one I posted comes with tubing.....think I'm going with this one now
Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
Got some top soil today for the 10, slowly but surely I am getting everything together. Got the heater already, all I really need now is the light, some sand and the canister. For the dirted tank, do I have to bake the dirt first to sterilize it or is it could to go out of the bag? Think I'm going to bake it just to be sure. I've read some conflicting stuff on dirted tanks about not being able to add fish for several months, being able to add fish a couple weeks after etc. Guess it really depends on how much is released from under the sand cap right? Also, when cycling the tank, will I have to feed the tank or will the soil provide enough ammonia to put the tank through a cycle? Really new to all this
As for the cycling part it wouldn't hurt to toss in a cocktail shrimp or two to ensure a good cycle.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post

Don't bake the soil. It will kill many of the beneficial life forms that are already in the soil. You will probably get quite a bit of ammonia but the plants will not be complaining. Floating or fast growing stem plants will increase uptake. Alternatively you can use some seeded media to convert the ammonia through to nitrate which is obviously less toxic to fish and change water more often.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Caliban! I'll have to wait then for the SunSun to come in then. I'll go ahead and add the soil today, add the sand as soon as I get it and fill her up when I get the filter. Getting that pogo. octopus this week too so I'll go ahead and let that float to soak up some trates. Floaters help soak up trates and I've got it coming out my ears in the 5.5 so there should be no problem there lol.

In the 16, male GBR is back to chasing the female. Didn't get a spawn this past week surprisingly. Just a question, how long do LFS GBR live on average? I've had this guy a while now and he's maxed out, size wise. Hopefully he'll keep going for another year. Plants are doing good in that tank as well.

Yesterday picked up some plants from the lake, some of what I suspect to be DHG (don't know exactly though) and a stem plant. Have it in a tub with Prazipro right now to kill off anything bad. Probably going to use it in the new build.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pics?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Comin right up
Old 01-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grass
Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Most I have read says around 2-4 years for GBR life.
With most people falling under 2 and a rare few with 4 solid years...
Wild I believe 4-6 years is not (was not ) unheard of.
IMO a lot has to do with ;
genetics,water,and then stocking.
I strongly feel in MOST cases that the GBR has to be #1 fish in tank as far as requirements being met,and dominance or better yet 'almost' a species tank with very selective company...

Sounds like you are doing well with yours...

coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com