Nitrogen in fertilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nystina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Nitrogen in my plant fertilizer is probably why i cannot get my Nitrate levels below 30? I do weekly water changes and i don't think i overfeed.

I'll move this thread over to the planted section -

Refresh my memory about which fert(s) you are using?

Kent Pro Plant is the fert that has the nitrogen in it
Contents: Deionized water, Sodium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Boric Acid , humic acid, kelp extract.

1-0-0
Total Nitrogen 1%
Boron .0002% (min.)
Magnesium .05% (min.)
Sulfur .06% (min.)

I use about half the recommended dose for my tank 3x per week.
ammonia and Nitrites are at 0

JMO, but.............. A little patience goes a long way. In reading one of your other posts you've also got an issue with phosphates. If it were my tank I would allow the nitrates and phosphates to come down before I added any ferts at all. :wink:

Yes, adding a nitrogen fertilizer should cause nitrate levels to increase.
If your nitrates are 10-15ppm, you don't need to be dosing nitrogen.

Yes.... there's that word again...PATIENCE..... :wink: The one asset i do not have enough of. I just like to do everything i can to ensure success. And when i cannot figure out why something is not working (e.g. water changes and persistent nitrates), i get frustrated.

I've been reading tons of the posts on this site and there are so many great ideas, it's hard for me to pick one and wait and see what will happen.

The phosphates are under control, for what it's worth. I believe the culprit was the plant tabs that were stirred up when i changed my substrate. Nothing a few water changes couldn't cure.

Thank Everyone for your help!
Nystina

Back
Top Bottom