No Colour Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
I usually don't have any problem getting plants to colour up, lots of nice reds in this tank, but this Limnophilla aromatica is staying green, real green. It almost glows in the dark. Pretty plant, growing well, has been in the tank about a month now. Just a question for those of you that are growing this one. Does it typically look like this when it's young, or do I have some cool neon green variety! Hoping it will colour up as it gets closer to the lights.

I can't find anything that says aromatica has to turn colors like the reds and purples we like to see. I have a similar plant I thought was aromatica but if yours is, mine is definately not! I posted a pic of it to try and find out also.

I did find that "aromatica" has several different forms and one is green so it is possible but I am at a loss. (tropica)

This is cool, I just replied to your post as well! This is definately L. aromatica, I have the Tropica tag it came with. Also when you plant it, it has a really nice smell to the plant and roots, very fragrant. Not sure what you have, but it sure is nice. I'll be watching to see who can I.D. it, that way I can go out and get it! If I do indeed have a green variety of L. aromatica, I'll take it. It is still really pretty.

Well if mine keeps growing like this you can have some on about a month. I don't know what I did but it just took off and this is after I removed the CO2 and before Excel. With the Excel it could become a real pain in the neck.

I don't remember who I got it from but he didn't know what it was either.

Give it time, maybe it just and acclimation thing and once it touches the surface it will start to process whatever is needed for the awesome colors it gets.

Yah, I saw your post and realized mine wasn't aromatica. I need to know mine also to figure out how to trim and replant it.

Here is my Limnophilla aromatica, minus the Pogostemon stellatus in the upper right:
tank75(23).JPG

My younger stems are green, but still have purple in them. (4WPG for 10 hours, EI dosing, 30-40 PPM CO2)

i have heard that this plant is an iron hog. if u up your iron dosing it should get a little more red into it. i hads it for a bit and it was a purple red colour untill it all melted(stupid plant) but if it is the green variety then even your miracle water shouldnt turn it red lol

Back
Top Bottom