No idea what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about starting a planted tank. But… I have noooo idea how to set it up. My local fish store said I could get some pots and put the plants in there. But I also want to your guy's advice. This will be the first time doing this. I have a 60 gallon tank with gravel. There's 2 guppies, 4 mollies, 1 platy, and a gourami.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If this is your first time, you should probably start with easy plants, such as java fern, java moss, and anubias. The only problem with them is you might start out with one java fern, then in a few months, you have ten more little ones. Good luck! ?

Thank you so much for the help!!!!

If you have less than 1-1.5" of substrate get some Ecocomplete or Fluval stratum or Aquasoil and dump it in with the gravel then plant away. Depending on the plant substrate you get, you will want to rinse it good and put it in carefully sense you got some fish in there. Also get plants according to your light and fert doseing plan.

If you just have a normal T8/T12 or dim LED "kit" light all your going to be able to grow is java fern or java moss but if you have a little brighter light and plan on using ferts and CO2 or dosing Glut/Flourish excel then you can grow all sorts of low/mid light plants.

If you have less than 1-1.5" of substrate get some Ecocomplete or Fluval stratum or Aquasoil and dump it in with the gravel then plant away. Depending on the plant substrate you get, you will want to rinse it good and put it in carefully sense you got some fish in there. Also get plants according to your light and fert doseing plan.

If you just have a normal T8/T12 or dim LED "kit" light all your going to be able to grow is java fern or java moss but if you have a little brighter light and plan on using ferts and CO2 or dosing Glut/Flourish excel then you can grow all sorts of low/mid light plants.

A lot of people not even wash Eco-Complete. They just dump it right in. I personally wash anything before it goes into my tank though. I wouldn't jump into co2 dosing and stuff yet. Plants are a whole new world, as stated start off with some of those easy plants. Amazon swords are another good plant but need root tabs planted underneath them for root growth.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Articles to Help with the Planted Tank
Lots of good info in this link. Peruse the articles when you get a chance. You will probably have more questions.
I would say the biggest determining factor is lighting. It will impact the need for ferts and a carbon source and the plant selection. If you are just starting out, then selecting lower light plants will help with your success. Not all lighting is the same, even between LEDs, and price is not always an indicator on how well the light will do in your setup.

With the dirt will I have to replace it like the soil for my house plants?

A lot of people not even wash Eco-Complete. They just dump it right in. I personally wash anything before it goes into my tank though. I wouldn't jump into co2 dosing and stuff yet. Plants are a whole new world, as stated start off with some of those easy plants. Amazon swords are another good plant but need root tabs planted underneath them for root growth.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Ohyeah idk I guess I wasn't really talking about ecocomplete but I have never dumped it into a fully started tank before

With the dirt will I have to replace it like the soil for my house plants?

I've not used it but from what I understand, no, it does not need to be replaced. However, over time nutrients will be used up and root supplements (root tablets) will need to be add at some point. I don't use it because of the mess that can be generated when removing/uprooting plants, especially those with decent root systems. That's just a personal choice.

Thank you!

What is your budget and what are your plans? (I.e. low light, medium light, or high light)

Those are the 2 primary pieces of information we need to help you.

I have a low budget and I have pretty strong light. I can't afford a high tech aquarium

How far are you willing to go with planting? you can go really high tech and spend tons of money to get an awesome aquascape.... Or get low demand plants to keep things simple.

Btw, are you planning on getting more fish? That's a pretty large aquarium for th fish you said you have! They must love the space.

I want to keep it as simple as possible lol. And I got 5 more mollies so now I have 2 guppies 9 mollies and a gourami.

I plan on getting more gourami and a school of angelfish. Maybe some moe guppies. But my female is pregnant so probably not. And maybe some neon tetras. But I'm not sure. For sure I'm getting more gouramis

For keeping it simple, I'd suggest getting a nice piece or pieces of driftwood and sticking some java fern on it. Anubias are very low demand as well. Once they grow in they should fill in your aquarium quite nicely. There are some other low demand plants as well, but the two are what I've had good luck with.

Thank you! Will the fish I have eat the plants?

I plan on getting more gourami and a school of angelfish. Maybe some moe guppies. But my female is pregnant so probably not. And maybe some neon tetras. But I'm not sure. For sure I'm getting more gouramis

Just some feedback on stocking plan.
Gouramis are NOT social. You might manage One more. If there are enough plants for separate territories. What species of Gourami do you have ?

Angelfish do not school. Also territorial. If you want, you can start with 5-6 baby Angels and let them pair off. Keep one pair, rehome the rest. Be aware, Angels and Gouramis sometimes clash. Your tank is big enough you may be ok.

Adult Angels EAT Neons in the wild. If they grow up with them AND you have enough plants, the Neons might be ok. Otherwise stick with wider bodied Tetras like Lemons or Bleeding Hearts.

Avoid nippy fish.

Plants ?

Java Ferns are great. You dont plant them. You tie or glue them to rocks or wood.

Be aware some Mollies may eat plants. Offer them Algae flakes or wafers. Your Mollies will breed. You'll quickly be overstocked if you try to save them all. Once the Angels are adult, they will help eat the fry.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much for the help!

How do I tie/glue the fern?

Back
Top Bottom