No More KH+ - Please Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been using Kent's KH+ product to raise my KH from 3dKH to 5dKH.
I've just been told that they have decided to discontinue that product line.

What can I use to safely raise my KH w/o affecting the PH?

There is NO way to increase your KH without changing your pH. The KH is what buffers your pH.

no reason to mess iwth your kh at all.. use a drop checker to measure co2 and enjoy the plants you can grow in soft water!

So what if my KH is 2dKH?

I did my weekly water change and got a 2dKH reading. With that, I'd have to lower the PH to 6.4 to get to 30ppm.

My KH is maybe 1. I just add the CO2 to keep the drop checker green. My fish are fine and I have had no great PH/CO2 disasters.

I like to keep my KH at 4 dh (tap is 3). I add Seachem's Alkalinity Buffer to raise my KH slightly. I use 1/4 teaspoon once a week in a 10 gallon so far - I'm still finding the right dosage. So far this is working out. Adding the Seachem buffer will raise your pH. Like rkilling1 says, you can't raise KH without raising pH. I saw my pH value rise from 6.8 to 6.9 when I added the buffer. I then adjusted the black knob on the meter to set it at 6.7, and the solonoid turned on.

Back
Top Bottom