No plants yet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
but I would like to put some in my tanks. Right now they are all plastic, which don't look too bad, but if live plants help with different functions in the tank, I might as well try em. Now I don't have a fertilized substrate, and probably won't put one in (unless ABSOLUTELY neccessary). What types of plants can I get that don't require that type of substrate? And what type of plants should I get? I don't want something that is hard to take care of, and I don't want something that will take over my tank. I'm new to the whole planted tank idea, so go easy on me. :wink:

The first question that needs to be asked is how many watts of light do you have over these tanks? Chances are to add live plants you are going to have to add more light.

Well if you want to start some plants with your current setup I would suggest getting some nice Java Fern. It is fairly slow growing, will do fine in low light (more light is always better), and requires little care on your part.

Live plants will help use up excess ammonia and nitrates, thus keeping your tank healthier if you miss the occasional water change.

Some plants do best in warmer water, some like much higher light, some need added fertilizers, some grow huge. But Java Fern does well in almost any situation so that is where I would start if I were you. Then you can see how much you like live plants and whether you want to get more involved.

About the only thing you can grow with your current lights would be Java Fern or Java moss. And even that could be iffy. And they will grow so slow as to not be any real help to your tank at all. The minimum suggested light amount for even low light plants is 2 watts per gallon. That means 40 watts on the 20 gallon and 100 watts on the 46 gallon tank. And replacing the current bulbs with high priced "magic" plant bulbs will do nothing but lighten your purse. And there are no higher wattage bulbs that will fit your lights. You need more light plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom