No substrate for Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javaman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just set up a 29 gal with no substrate only glass on bottom. With two 20 gal filters.. Alot of anubias and alot a neons . any advise about this has anybody done this and does the water goes bad after a while..do i really need substrate for micro orgs to grow and break down waist? Im aiming for Crystal clear water

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO a tank with substrate lookes cleaner and overall just nicer than a barebottom one, and i think the fish and plants like it more too

Would marbles or clear rocks work the same? Im tryin different stuff. Or would java moss carpet weighted down with couple rocks work? Ideas people!!!!!

Javaman said:
Would marbles or clear rocks work the same? Im tryin different stuff. Or would java moss carpet weighted down with couple rocks work? Ideas people!!!!!

Java moss carpet might not be a good idea. I imagine it getting messy really quickly. I also imagine it being a nitrate factory from all the fish waste getting stuck in it.

Cool thanks man im just gonna lay some gravel in there then i give up lol

Javaman said:
Cool thanks man im just gonna lay some gravel in there then i give up lol

Oh ok haha or you can add some flower pots and just dirt the inside of them. The orange flowerpots, I believe they're clay, it's name escapes me right now lol then you can just stick in some other plants like rotala or ludwigia and such if your lighting is enough:)

image-4134357701.jpg

Im aiming for crystal clear water. I love the pot idea its would look clean but that would cloud the water right? Even if i put sand cover on pots some dirt would escape from bottom of pot...is there anything else i can use other than dirt to pot a bunch of plants all over the tank?

Austin.b said:
Oh ok haha or you can add some flower pots and just dirt the inside of them. The orange flowerpots, I believe they're clay, it's name escapes me right now lol then you can just stick in some other plants like rotala or ludwigia and such if your lighting is enough:)

terra cotta pots :)

Javaman said:
Im aiming for crystal clear water. I love the pot idea its would look clean but that would cloud the water right? Even if i put sand cover on pots some dirt would escape from bottom of pot...is there anything else i can use other than dirt to pot a bunch of plants all over the tank?

I don't think it would, just wash it before it goes in the tank. You could always seal it with some aquarium safe silicone and a plastic lid:)

You can have a bare bottom tank. Discus breeders do it all the time. Lots of filtration and don't clean both filters at once. Tying Anubias or Java Ferns to wood or rocks works fine. You can float Hornwort or I use Amazon Frogbit as a floater (if your water isn't too agitated it should grow). But the dangers of a bare bottom, AFAIK is that it can grow bacteria on the glass.

What about a thin layer of black sand ? That would work. If you go deeper sand you can plant directly into it as well.

K thanks mumma and yes i probly will just go with black sand to give it some depth thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom