nodules on my hornwort (what are they?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've noticed often that hornwort seems to have these nodules on it. They are very hard, almost transparent but have a slight greenish tinge. I noticed that when I had a bunch of hornwort in a bucket soaking for a week or two a lot of them came off and were floating on the surface of the water.

Any idea what these are?

Attachments

• hornwort_128.jpg
    hornwort_128.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 42
Never been in one of my tanks, just got it from my LFS and has been sitting in a 5g bucket for maybe just under 2 weeks. However, they really don't seem to be eggs. In fact, if you were to look at these "dead on" (i.e. looking down at the point of the needle), they are not a blob sitting on one side of the hornwort needle, but are a sheath completely around the needle.

I hope that made sense.

I will third Eggs. If it is in your 29 is probably from your corries. It could also be from the minnows from the fact that some of them look like they are oblong and not totally round.

could be some kind of snail egg from the store if it hasnt evtered your tank yet but 2 weeks in that bucket..... i would have asumed they would have hatched by now. were they there when u got the plant or did they show up recently?

Maybe this will help to explain what I'm trying to say. Excuse the artwork, I'm obviously never going to make my living doing graphic design. 8O

Attachments

• nodule_391.gif
    nodule_391.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 133
lol i understand that. i knew what u meant before. that doesnt mean they are not eggs. if u do not liek tem there just simply rinse them off. if they come back then worry about it lol.

Could it be some kind of a pollen sack like you see in some trees similar in leaf style? Also, snails will lay eggs around a stem, some will anyway. Some amphibians also. I guess some fish might or maybe the eggs will "wrap" around the leaf when it is dropped but I don't know for sure.

Have you ever noticed it on any other plant or in your tanks anywhere else?

Nope, never noticed it anywhere except on the hornwort. Hmm, a mysetery! It's times like this I really wish I owned a microscope, or even a decent magnifying glass, so I could get a closer look.

I have a friend who's a biologist, maybe I'll ask him.

hmm, I don't think I'm registered with that site, it's not letting me access the link.

Back
Top Bottom