Non Aquatic Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello
I recently set up a 55 gal tank. It has been running about 2 months now. About a month ago I bought some plants from a chain store, and at first they seemed to be doing well. However as time as gone on they all started to look "shabby".
At first I thought it was my lights were not providing enough usable light for them so I bought some better lights. But that did not seem to help.
Tonight I finally decided to look them up online to see if any special care was needed for them that I was not providing. Everything I have found so far indicates that these are not aquatic plants.
The common names for the plants are:
Peacock Fern
Aqua Fern
White Ribbon Plant
Umbrella Plant
Is this correct? I am really sorry I did not research this more before getting the plants! I can provide the scientific names also, but I really just wanted to make sure the information I had found was accurate.

Considering that umbrella fern is the only plant that I've heard of (and I don't think its aquatic) I can only assume that A you found some rare plants (I'm thinking you bought plants in those plastic containers that sit inside that gel stuff) or B that they're nonaquatic... sorry :(

i vote B. most stores sell non aquatic plants. better to order online with hobbyist

(I'm thinking you bought plants in those plastic containers that sit inside that gel stuff) or B that they're nonaquatic... sorry :(
Yes thats correct.

better to order online with hobbyist
Well lesson learned. Do you have anyone you recommend?

here is a good site to check to see if they are aquatic or not.
I love plant geek! I found it a few weeks back when I was researching my Anubias.

Thanks for the quick replies. What I have learned here is A: Caveat emptor. And B: Don't buy anything for your tank with out a bit of research first. I have done that with fish and even my driftwood, however I thought with plants I could just pick what I liked and be ok.

There are several people on the forums the sell plants and most if not all are better quality or quantity than can be found else where. Once you find some plants make a list and try to get as many as possible from one person to save on shipping. One time I asked someone that had a huge list if they could fix me up a package of easy low light plants, I was helping someone set up an aquarium. Most people on one forum belong to another couple of forums.

"white ribbon plant" = lucky bamboo (you know the stuff they make grow in spirals) i made the same mistake once then relized true aquatic plants loose their shape outside of water and they usualy dont have leaves with white stripes, so i took it out and am growing it in a snake cage, those places tell you they will live in the tank (for a month) and then when you tell them they died they blame it on your water, nice try chain pet store!

that sucks. when i started i had a 55 full of non aquatics. and i didnt get them all at chain stores either. once you learn a bit you start to lose respect for your some of your lfs that try to sell you that crap

Some of those plants in the plastic tubes are aquatic. Anubias, swords and wisteria (hygrophilia)

I can't imagine the stores in Colorado being the only ones in the chains that have these. ??

Also beware of mondo grass. Does great in our terrarium not so hot in the aquarium.

i have seen some anubias and so forth. but i see purple waffle, dracaena, and aqua fern all of the time submersed in a tank at the small lfs.
you tell them that they are not aquatic and they say "then why are they underwater?!" that's when you say "i can hold your head under water but it doesnt mean you belong there"

"i can hold your head under water but it doesnt mean you belong there"
lol some people need their head under water longer then others to know its not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom