Non Aquatic plants....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
A couple weeks ago, someone said that one of my plants might not be a true aquatic, but my question is, can non aquatic plants grow underwater, because this one seems to be getting bigger and bushier.
TIA

Can you post a pi? I got sucked in by an aluminum plant once. It survived under water for about 3 weeks.

Pothos is a plant that can grow in water but eventually most will rot and die. Marsh type plants will do this.

It really depends on the plant. some survive underwater...some rot within days, others take weeks or months. still others can survive a long time as long as they are allowed to have emersed growth.

emersed growth can also trick us into thinking its a non-aquatic, due to leaf shape and thicker stems.

if you take it out of the water and it stands like.. erect its probally not a water plant.

a couple pet stores over here sell non-aquatic plants and stick em in the plant tank...

If you saw the plant, that looks VERY close the leaves are red on the underside like that. Thats a some strange info, first it says that it can tolerate soft to hard and 6-8 which is a pretty big range then it says its demanding... It doesnt seem very demanding to me so far! But other than that it seems quite similar

It's difficult I'ld imagine because it is a slow grower (odd that you mention your's has grown that quickly, unless you have very favourable conditions (light, nutrients etc.)) , because of the light level required the risk of algae becomes higher.

But that is just a guess.

Also I imagine the demands on nutrients would be high
In open aquariums it grows above the water surface, where it forms very beautiful scarlet flowers and the leaves regain their colour.

If you run it through google (Lobelia cardinalis aquarium) since it is also a terrestrial plant (not true aquatic), you will find some real pictures to verify the plant type.

Well, i would not say i has grown fast... Only that it has grown in 3 weeks..But, if you look at the fisrt of the pics i posted, the plant is definately bigger in that one that in the lower, older ones.

It could be an aquatic plant, though the leaves don't appear to be auqatic. Looks more like a terrestrial plant to me.

Back
Top Bottom