Non-Aquatic Plants - Errrrrr...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I am getting familiar with the world of planted aquariums I am shocked to learn that many plant vendors sell plants that will never survive under any conditions in an aquarium. Am I the only one that has been duped into buying plants to watch them slowly rot in my aquarium?

My latest was a Dracena Sanderiana. Looked cool and thought it would be neat to have a bit of white in the aquarium plant life. Well, I have been watching it slowly rot in my aquarium until I found this great website that has started a list of NON AQUATIC PLANTS:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=11

As I was looking down the list, I see a number of plants that I have tried in the past and thought that I just wasn't doing something right.

Sure seems boarder-line illegal to sell an item as a aquarium plant, when it is in fact not and can only die. Has anyone had luck actually getting any of these kinds of plants to work in an aquarium?

Good observation. I almost picked up a Green Hedge from my LFS. It looked pretty cute and I thought it would work but something told me to inquire, good thing I did.

Just from that listing, I have been tried Mondo Grass, Aqua Fern, Purple Waffle and my latest Dracena S. I have seen these at many the LFS and also on some online aqua plant vendor sites! Which leads me to wonder if they know that they are selling bogus aquarium plants or am I missing something...

The drac likes to grow in about 1" of water. It will survive some months underwater. It may even seem to grow as it expends the rest of its energy trying to break the surface before it suffocates.

Some are straight terrestrial, must mostly people get marginal, or waters edge type plants and figure if it grows along the edge it must be good for aquariums :(

I think that most LFS are just clueless when it comes to nonaquatic plants. If it's listed on their plant list they figure it must be fine. Most of the time you're lucky to find a LFS that knows much about fish let alone plants.

I have removed my Drac from the aquarium and have placed in at a window with its base in a cup of water... It is still a pretty plant, or at least I hope it will be when it sheds it's algea covered leaves... just need to find it a different home.

I think I agree that the typical LFS is clueless with these... Though their suppliers then must be a little more educated! Even AZGardens.com sells the Aqua Fern...

I told one local LFS that most of the plants they were selling were non-aquatic and they just said that that's what the vendor gives them.....oh well, I tried at least!

I saw mondo grass at Petsmart last week. I just looked at it in confusion. I was about 95% sure it wasn't aquatic, but that 5% kept me from saying something.

One of those things where I knew I would have heard of it if it was aquatic. That and I've seen it planted in people's yards before.

I think that understanding and identifying these types of plants is an important tip for anyone setting up or maintaining a planted tank.

It sure can get you thinking you must be doing something wrong... I wonder why this isn't a bigger topic of discussion...

I think it might be a nice addition to the HOW-TO sticky for Lighting, Substrate, etc to have a note about what plants to absolutely avoid...

I think it might be a nice addition to the HOW-TO sticky for Lighting, Substrate, etc to have a note about what plants to absolutely avoid...

Not a bad suggestion...I'll see about getting it in there somewhere. BTW, it is and has always been a major topic of discussion...along with all the other LFS issues. Of course, the beginner (as I was) won't know because it is sitting in a LFS fish tank.

I did get my LFS to stop carrying the green hedge...small victory.

Nice going with getting the LFS to actually listen to you!

I guess I just haven't seen anything on this topic before...

Back
Top Bottom