non-tropical freshwater plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
can anyone recommend sites with info regarding non-tropical freshwater plants?

I have extracted several 'local' plants from swamps and small lakes, most of which seem to be seasonal plants (winters here are a HARD freeze for all but the biggest of lakes)

two of the plants seem to be true aquatic, growing completely under water, and the third is a marginal, rooted underwater with leaves in the air.

the aquatics appear similar to egeria densa, but with much much finer leaves, someone thought they were varietes of milfoil?

the marginal grows from a bulb (or tuber?) and shoots up tall stalks (~20") with bright green triangluar leaves. It is completely dormant from october through april (I don't know how it can tell, water is always 76°F, lights are always 12 hours on 12 hours off, tank receives no natural sunlight)

The goldfish that are wintering in the tank love to eat it's stalks and leaves, luckly one plant got it's leaves outa the water before they were completely eaten, the other has a gnawed off stump of a stalk and no leaves... I placed a lantern chimney around it, hopefully it will grow some leaves now.

thanks,

Gordon

can anyone recommend sites with info regarding non-tropical freshwater plants?

Tough call, as I am trying to find out the same info for my area. I found some for me on the MD DNR site. Did you try your dept. of natural resources? MD has a pretty decent site, I would Think MI would also, being on the great lakes and all.

Actually, now that I think about it, do a google seach for pond plants, lotta places online that sell them. Check for hardy marginals, many of them are native species. Good luck, and let me know if you find anything good, I could use the help too!

Back
Top Bottom