Noob considering live plants, questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnfinfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not new to fishkeeping but I've always had artificial plants. I'd like to put a few live ones in but not sure if there is enough light. The tank is freshwater, ph of 7.5, 65 gallons so 24" tall, and it has a single 25w fluorescent fixture with silver reflectors all around the bulb. The room has two large, south-facing windows and one west. Even in positioned in a corner, the tank gets a couple hours of direct sun per day and a good bit of indirect.

I recently added a chunk of mopani driftwood for a new bristlenose pleco and it leans in the corner 18" tall. It's obviously closer to the light at the top so I thought of attaching plants to it. And maybe a couple short plants at the front of the tank where the sun hits? I'd like something taller in back to help hide tubing and such but upgrading the light isn't in the budget yet and no plans for co2.

What would be reasonable plant choices?

Where do folks find their plants? Mail order? Our local options are Petco (a few sword type plants underwater in their own tank) or PetSmart (more choices but plastic packages of plants in air/water). I don't recall seeing mosses at all other than the ball form.

Other hobbyists are a great source, if you can find one close enough to you, or one that will ship. Mail order can be good.

Ebay or Kijiji or Craig'slist are often useful too. Check the classifieds on forums such as this one for hobbyists selling plants.

If there is an aquarium club anywhere near you, join it. Many of them have auctions, a great way to get stuff you might not get anywhere else, often at very good prices too.

For ordering online, try Peabody's paradise.com
He not only has nice plants but will give you personal advice and service. If he doesn't have it I'll bet he will put you on to somewhere where you can get it. Good luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom