Noob here! Help please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally decided to start dieting my tank but the first time I did it it was a fail...I think?

I found some miracle lying around so I started putting it in my 10 gallon
Then I slowly started filling it up with water but then as the water rose, the dirt rose also and when I stuck my hand in there was nothing on the bottom of the tank?
So I emptied it and washed it out and filled it up again with just dirt but didn't fill it up yet
My questions are:

1. How do I fill up the tank without the dirt rising up?

2. Is the type of dirt I put in ok for a planted aquarium?

3. Is this enough dirt? It's about 1"-2"

4. Would it be bad to leave in the wood chips that came along in the dirt?

5. I didn't sift the dirt, is this fine?

6. What are some easy beginner low-light plants to start off with? Other than java fern and anubias, I want ones I can actually put in the dirt

Sorry for all the questions lol just wanna make sure I get everything right this time
Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Here are the pics

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-105163699.jpg
    image-105163699.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-4196197318.jpg
    image-4196197318.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2881666643.jpg
    image-2881666643.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 81
I would make sure to chech the ingredients list before deciding to use it as a fertilizer. I noticed a lot of common plant fertilizers have copper added into the mix which would be bad. Also, I'm not sure if that particular soil has any chemicals added into it which could also potentially harm your fish. If you wanted to go the miracle grow route you might try to look into an organic soil.

Not real good on dirted tanks, but I think you are supposed to use the potting soil, not mix. Not sure though, maybe some experienced dirted people can chime in?

You want to use an all organic potting mix or top soil. I don't believe the one you have is usable. I see little white specks in the soil, which I believe are probably fertilizer or chemical pellets. Not positive on that, though.

Also, umm... You're supposed to cap the soil with a 1 1/2"-2" layer of sand, gravel, or other substrate like Eco-complete to keep the dirt from floating... Lol.

I don't really believe in using dirt, you run the risk of making a huge mess when moving plants, and you'll still need root tabs for heavy root feeders. So to me, it's like, what's the point. Might as well use something made for the aquarium like Eco complete.

If you're dead set on dirting the tank. PM rivercats, she's the dirted tank queen of AA. Or maybe she'll chime in, in a moment.

Really hope RC s does chime in cuz I too would like to know of more rooted plants. This would be for a non CO2, med lite tank which I m hoping is what the OP has. Don t want to hi jack his? thread since I understand that is BAD to do :)

You want to use an all organic potting mix or top soil. I don't believe the one you have is usable. I see little white specks in the soil, which I believe are probably fertilizer or chemical pellets. Not positive on that, though.

Also, umm... You're supposed to cap the soil with a 1 1/2"-2" layer of sand, gravel, or other substrate like Eco-complete to keep the dirt from floating... Lol.

I don't really believe in using dirt, you run the risk of making a huge mess when moving plants, and you'll still need root tabs for heavy root feeders. So to me, it's like, what's the point. Might as well use something made for the aquarium like Eco complete.

If you're dead set on dirting the tank. PM rivercats, she's the dirted tank queen of AA. Or maybe she'll chime in, in a moment.

Unfortunately for the OP, you are correct Bill. You need organic potting soil for this (or in RC's case she uses I believe mushroom compost). The additives in the shown potting mix will kill a lot of things in the tank.

Usually you added about 1-2 inches of dirt. Dampen it. Plant a lot of plants (mostly rooted plants at this point. Stem plants are easy to add in later on). Then cap it with sand, Flourite, Eco-Complete.

Again, I've only done a 1g bowl and a 10g this way. Hopefully we can get a little more clarity from RC soon.

Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix is the gold standard of dirt for making dirted tanks. It's often useful to sift it first, but not required. I probably wouldn't use moisture control soils as the chemicals used might cause issues down the line.

Crypts of all variety are rooted, low light plants that really like a rich substrate. They are also beginner friendly and forgiving.

I filled up my dirted tank by putting a plate in the tank and pouring gently onto it. This way the water goes sideways more than down. Using a heavier cap helps here (the cap I was using was super light).

Last edited:
You have to use an Organic Potting soil or mix if you can't find the soil. Miracle grow is most commonly used but I use a product called Just Natural Organic potting soil from Lowes.

After you add about 1-1/2" of dirt you lightly moisten it and compact it as hard as you can to remove any big air pockets. Then you carefully top it with about 1-1/2 inches of cap which can be sand, small grained gravel, or a commercial plant substrate like Eco-Complete. I cap my dirted tanks with Eco.

What type lighting and bulbs are you using as that will determine the type of plants you can use.

EDIT: I don't sift the dirt, I use the chunks and all unless they are really big.

Hmmm ok thank you!!

Just wondering, would I be able to put in regular dirt from my backyard?
I don't really want to go out and spend money buying organic soil for now since I'm just getting started with planted tanks and since it's just for my 10 gallon

I can add root tabs if needed

Ej_b1996 said:
Hmmm ok thank you!!

Just wondering, would I be able to put in regular dirt from my backyard?
I don't really want to go out and spend money buying organic soil for now since I'm just getting started with planted tanks and since it's just for my 10 gallon

I can add root tabs if needed

I'd stay away from the dirt in your backyard. You don't know for sure whats in it.

As for dirting your tank I would take the advice given so far. Your plants and fish will thank you in the long run

Oh ok, what if I just sift the dirt I have right now to get rid of the white stuff and the big wood chips would that be fine?
If I had the budget right now I honestly would buy new dirt but I sadly don't

Oh ok, what if I just sift the dirt I have right now to get rid of the white stuff and the big wood chips would that be fine?

Unfortunately it's not just the white balls that contain chemicals. The whole soil will. In the long run, especially money-wise in respect to replacing fish or having to start over, it's better to start it right. I wish I had better news for you :(

Patience padawan. That is the motto of fish keeping. Save your money for a little while then get your organic potting soil. Slowly but surely you'll have a beautiful little piece of paradise your home

I bought a bag of organic potting soil for my basil it was less than 5 bucks from wal mart

I buy 1cu foot bags of Just Natural Organic Potting Soil for $3.88 at Lowes. The dirt is about the cheapest substrate you can buy other than sand.

Check out Dustinsfishtanks on YouTube. If you like to learn by seeing this is the guy. He has a whole playlist of setting up a dirted tank.

Back
Top Bottom