Noob lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an sat+ on my 25g which I think is roughly 20" tall would adding another light increase my PAR levels deeper in the tank? Second question, would it be more beneficial to set up pressurized co2 or go with light #2? Honestly leaning toward co2 at the moment because I've yet to see the current lighting to be insufficient. However I'm eager to hear the opinions of the more experienced, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To put it simply, you could go either way.

Personally I would go for CO2 because increased lighting will increase the demand for CO2 but not necessarily the other way around. Because of this (depending on how heavily you are stocked) your plants may starve due to having lighting but no food.

In other words, if you are stocked rather heavily or have fish that go through a lot of oxygen, go for the lights. If you are stocked lighter, go for CO2.

What plants are you attempting to grow?

A single Sat+ on a tank that tall will only allow for low light plants. But if you double the fixture, you'll be able to grow medium light plants. But if you increase the lighting with dual Sat+'s, you should inject CO2 or at the very least use glut (excel).

If you can only afford an additional light or pressurized CO2 at the moment, I'd get the 2nd light and rig up an inexpensive DIY CO2 generator (yeast/sugar) and also dose liquid carbon (eg. Excel or Glut). Also start dosing dry ferts like pps-pro.

With this combination, you'll expand on what you can grow substantially.

Then later, invest in a pressurized CO2 system and you'll be set. Aquatek makes affordable entry level quality regulators.

Edit:
Check out thumper's 36g and 75g, both tall tanks and growing beautiful plants with dual satellite LED+'s , good ferts, and CO2.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314998

Last edited:
Yeah considering the second light and I'm going to scavenge a co2 system off a massive tank when I get it. Unfortunately can't keep the aquarium as it's huge and I have no where to put it.

I have amazon sword, ozelot sword, chain sword, microsword, some sag. Species which I don't know, val., hygro (p.?), rotala rotun., red lotus, narrow leaf java fern, regular java fern, el nino fern sorry I don't know all the scientific names I usually just buy what looks cool. Most of these plants are new so we'll have to see how it plays out until I can get a second light on there.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407211241.315046.jpg also have frogbit floating. If you want I'll post more pics here. Just let me know.

I'm sure the system should be fine if its working on a 6'x2'x2' aquarium rough estimates def 6' and substantially deep.

Yeah then you should get the light, and grab the CO2 system from the other tank and run both.

That is a very large tank... lol

Also, like said earlier, you can dose liquid CO2 if you can only have one or the other for whatever reason.

So hypothetically I have 28 PAR at 18" with one fixture, if I added another would this make my PAR @ 18" 56? Or does it not work like that?

I would say it's a good estimate. There will be the highest PAR in the middle where the lights overlap with some drop off along the outer parameter. But you'll definitely be a able to grow a whole lot more once you're over the 30 to 35 PAR mark.

With the increased light will it cause nutrient/co2 deficiencies without proper dosages?

Also, sorry for the double post, but would it be beneficial to get co2 set up, the 2nd light put on and start pps pro all in one day over 1 work session or will this cause problems.

Also for the second light to work I'd have to remove my plastic hood. Are there any options to help keep the water inside the tank as well as the fish but that could still allow easy access for my hob filters and heater?

With increased light comes increased carbon and fertilizer demand. Also depends on how long you set your photoperiod and how heavily planted you are. It'll take some growing pains, but research will alleviate the headaches. But once everything is balanced the rewards of a beautiful and healthy planted tank makes it all worth it.

You should start everything the same day. But if the pressurized CO2 isn't ready and you want to get things started sooner than later, liquid carbon (i.e. excel or glut) + DIY CO2 is sufficient. PPS-Pro or EI dosing recommended.

Look and see if there's a glass versatop made for your tank dimensions. Dr Fosters & Smith has them.

Bought the glass top and light today. Hopefully I'll be able to get the co2 set up either thurs or fri.

I have API co2 booster freshly dosed and leaf zone freshly dosed. I know either of these are not the ideal but are what I have.

Well I'm seeing growth in some of the new plants already... Just the wrong color.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407382061.593290.jpg
Hygro. (not sure which) sprouting green.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407382110.605141.jpg
Rotalla rotundafolia growing green which is nothing new. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407382196.925403.jpg
Bronze crypts, not so bronze, but are growing much faster with tabs and regular fert dosage

Back
Top Bottom