Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's typically dosed in general, but if you're getting a ton of GSA, you want to raise your level. I keep mine at about 2ppm. I still get a little bit by the end of the week, but it's not all that bad... I mean, I'm gonna clean the darn glass anyway... :p

Any particular reason you're doing the split photoperiod? Maybe try 5-6 hours straight, instead.

The split photo period is based around my need to want to see the tank when I am home, which is rarely between 12 & 2 PM, hence we run 8 hours with a break in the middle of the day when we're not there.

I'm still real fuzzy on EI and could use a link to a thread, or a lesson, that explains it so I can begin dosing macro's effectively...

Do you know anyone that knows this stuff? ;P

Joey doses EI.

I know... waiting for him to reply to my begging and pleading for intel...

Sweet. Thanks brotha :)

Also sweet, thanks my ex-Cali brotha ;P

I've got some reading to do tonight...

Yeah I'm just sticking with PPS-Pro too. So much easier and I'm ecstatic that I don't have to do 50% PWC's weekly!

Trimming, GSA and new tenants

I took Bill's advice and pushed the glosso plugs deeper into the substrate. I am seeing new growth so that is encouraging, but it's slow going.

I decided to trim the HM as it was unruly, unsightly and curled over under it's own weight. I saved the clippings to replant.

I also pulled the sword that was in front of the filter and put a bunch of blyxa there
20130926_210846.jpg

We have also started seeing a lot of GSA on the tank walls, etc. I've scraped it a few times, but interestingly enough, this is the only tank of ours that has this. I don't want to have to scrape the glass all the time and need to find the imbalance that is causing the moss to win over the plants.

Plants currently in this tank
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Glossostigma elatinoides
Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata
Blyxa Japonica
Java moss on disc​

In the meantime, we put a pair of nerite snails in to work on the GSA; one horned, one not.
20130926_210646.jpg

Last edited:
Added a few clippings of S. repens

Moving nerites to next tank w GSA

Will start dosing PPS-Pro this week

Back
Top Bottom