Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I paid 15.99 at my LFS for the Brightwell. I've barely put a dent it... I think the 500g is a lifetime supply at the rate I use it! LOL

The other cheaper products would probably be better since you have nano/pico tanks.

What's your dosage per gallon of RO using Brightwell?

In the instructions online, I believe there's an exact ratio to add to increase the gh to a desired amount. However, being that I like to be lazy and 'wing it,' I generally use the TDS meter to test the RO first, tank second, and add the remineralizer to the RO jug, shake, and re-test with the meter till I'm around 100-150'ish (this number usually depends on what my tank is testing at)... then I add it to the tank. I use 1 gallon plastic water bottles dedicated for aquarium use. I know...I'm so scientific! ;)

In the instructions online, I believe there's an exact ratio to add to increase the gh to a desired amount. However, being that I like to be lazy and 'wing it,' I generally use the TDS meter to test the RO first, tank second, and add the remineralizer to the RO jug, shake, and re-test with the meter till I'm around 100-150'ish (this number usually depends on what my tank is testing at)... then I add it to the tank. I use 1 gallon plastic water bottles dedicated for aquarium use. I know...I'm so scientific! ;)

Hahaha I'm the complete opposite Brian. I was redoing my ferts today for PPS-Pro, and I was measuring on the gram scale to the .001. Lol. I love being exact and scientific.

Love the simple, pragmatic approach, Brian :)

Hahaha I'm the complete opposite Brian. I was redoing my ferts today for PPS-Pro, and I was measuring on the gram scale to the .001. Lol. I love being exact and scientific.

I can also appreciate the exacting, scientific and take solace that both approaches can be successful :D

Day 7 AM Update

No fatalities since last reported

Added 3 small alter cones yesterday after 20% water change w RO

Found 1 new molt found this morning, big one

Successfully launched 3 new super tigers into the tank after staging overnight
-our counts are now
super tigers: 5
red rilli: 9

Fed w Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, all consumed

Shrimp are getting along nicely, no berried females yet, but I'm not disappointed :D

I just noticed one of our original Super Tigers, that was darker than the others to begin with, is now almost completely black, is that a good thing?

Ooooooh...post a pic!

This is not the best pic, but in the right light, against the driftwood in the tank, you could easily overlook this fellow
20130826_181620.jpg

Looks darker in person, but then again the camera does put on 10 lbs...

Here is a video we shot this afternoon that compares our dark tiger to our other shrimp

Last edited:
This is not the best pic, but in the right light, against the driftwood in the tank, you could easily overlook this fellow

Looks darker in person, but then again the camera does put on 10 lbs...

Here is a video we shot this afternoon that compares our dark tiger to our other shrimp

Wow! That's cool. It kinda looks like you have a Tibee. Tibee= Tiger x Bee Shrimp (CRS, CBS, etc.) Brian will be able to help me out. This is a tibee.

Attachments

• image-2842978282.jpg
    image-2842978282.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 54
Day 8 Early AM Update

Took a peek at the tank with a flashlight, found one of the 3 new tigers belly-up... perhaps just a heavy sleeper?

Day 8 PM Update

Aside from the one loss overnight, all inhabitants of our 2G Nano Long are doing well; the shrimp that is... the c. parva, not so much.

We fed Hikari today, a feast that was well attended by all.

TDS measured 248ppm.

Nothing more to report :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know, but didnt you lose some other tigers a few days ago, too?

Yes, we've lost 5 total so far

First batch
-1 DOA last sunday, 8/18
-3 crossed the river styx between, 8/21-22
Second batch
-1 had a croak dream last night and never woke up, 8/27

We've only lost 1 rilli to date, the rest seem ok.

I counted 11 shrimp visible at once today, all feeding on hikari; all the rilli and the 2 original "first batch" tigers. I accounted for the other 2 "second batch" tigers later today - they seem more shy.

Interestingly, the one that died was the more orange of the three new ones.

The other two are more orange-white/tiger-orange in coloration whereas the dead one was more like shades of orange/pale orange and tiger.

No shrimp losses today

Ordered 4 mats of Flame Moss and one mat of Fissidens Fontanus

Hoping to faux carpet w moss over the weekend in my shrimp tanks... starting the cube build

Day 9 AM Update

No deaths over night (a sad measure of "success")

I have been topping off with 100% RO water and will do another 20%-25% water change this weekend.

TDS measured 238ppm this morning

Received my gH/KH test kit last night, questions:
1) gH, how green should the solution turn?
-I got 3-4 drops in and the water was green-ish
2) KH, the water was never blue and turned light yellow with 1 drop
-after about 3-4 drops water was yellow-ish

What readings do I "want" to get for a shrimp tank?

Back
Top Bottom