Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lightbulb Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

I was so inspired by Brian's 2.11-gal pico thread that I ordered the same tank (I know, I know; unoriginal) and am starting to plan the build.

Future inhabitants will be shrimp, but I have not decided which species exactly yet... perhaps some RCS, or a variant thereof, as this will be my first invertebrate tank and I'd like something that will be able to breed in basic fw conditions. I could go brackish vs. fw... nothing is set in stone yet.

I am looking for plants, lighting and filtration advice but have been leaning towards duplicating Brian's setup with the Azoo Palm Filter, Foam Pre-Filter, and either the same light Brian has or perhaps this SR-40 from Ebay or perhaps the Nano Type-P from TruAqua.

I would like to use CaribeSea Eco-Complete Planted Black as my substrate with some rock and wood in there, and obviously plants! I'm looking at local vendors, online retailers and other sources. I will cycle the tank before I get any livestock in there. I want to create an elegant but simple, beautiful and successful tank

I'll keep this thread updated as I go, but would love to solicit opinions and advice from the more experienced community here!

6G Planted 360 Round and Tall - 2G Pico Cube - 2G Nano Long - 23G Rimless Community Build - 20G Grow Out Tank
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Following!

There's nothing unoriginal.. haha I'm not the first to get this tank. Consider the tank a blank canvas... the scape will be your own! The high clarity glass and superb silicone work on these cubes are certainly beautiful though.

Neos are a great shrimp to start out with. I just acquired pumpkin shrimp.. prior to that, I had red rili.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Check out this thread on TPT... Jake has been purchasing several of these 2.1g cubes for shrimp... he has gone through various light options as well.

Jake's High-Clarity Shrimp Cubes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Check out this thread on TPT... Jake has been purchasing several of these 2.1g cubes for shrimp... he has gone through various light options as well.

Jake's High-Clarity Shrimp Cubes
Thanks for the link, will read up on TPT tonight!

Circling back to the cost of the Azoo Palm on amazon, I can get it at Dr. Fosters +shipping for less. But I saw this Finnex Pure-5 on amazon for less than Azoo anywhere (once factoring in shipping) - any experience with the Finnex?

6G Planted 360 Round and Tall - 2G Pico Cube - 2G Nano Long - 23G Rimless Community Build - 20G Grow Out Tank
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not me..but I think the guy on TPT I linked to uses them. Should be about comparable to the Azoo.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Not me..but I think the guy on TPT I linked to uses them. Should be about comparable to the Azoo.
Reading his post, he lost a shrimp by one possibly crawling up the outflow... guess I should plan on looking out for that to happen and screen the output.

Overall, from a filter, I'm looking for safe, reliable, effective, quiet and affordable. $20 for a filter that will keep my tank healthy is no biggie. Is there any filter that should be avoided?

Interestingly, he chose for the Wavepoint 3 Watt LED. I had looked at that light as well as this no-name but I'm leaning towards tried and true: Archaea LED light fixture 17cm (clamp-on) All white LED [LED-H17W] - $29.99 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I like that no-name one, it looks pretty sleek too! I'm diggin' the white. The watts it uses is 2.6w versus 1.68w on my light... so I guess you get a marginal increase in light. But it's hard to say.. sometimes I hate buying stuff blindly when there's no reviews on it. On the bright side, it's on Amazon so it would be easy to return and if you have Prime, you'll get it in two days free shipping.

As for the filter, it will happen. If you keep the water level lower than the outflow of the filter, you should be okay. But even so, I've been running the Azoo Palm Filter on a small cube for a while with some shrimp, even with the water all the way up to the outflow level... I hardly have shrimp trying to crawl out. I did at first and I lost a couple, but I think it had something to do with the water quality or O2 level in the tank... I think if you keep the conditions in the cube pristine, they'll most likely not want to escape.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Subscribed!
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hardware decisions made

I ordered the no-name LED from amazon, I'll post a review once I get it.

I also decided to stick with the Azoo filter, looking to see if I can muster up $50 in purchases from Dr. F+S to get free shipping... or just pay the $6.

So, if I am going to make this a shrimp tank, what plants do you all think would be best in an 8x8x8 cube?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What you're having trouble finding enough stuff to get 50$ with in purchases? For me, it's the other way around... I have to struggle to remove stuff from the cart! Haha

Well... I have some suggestions..
This magFox has come in handy in cleaning the tank in the hard to reach spots..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23699

Other stuff just "good" to have are (if you don't have them): Purigen, Excel, Flourish, Flourish tabs, Biomax, media bags, shrimp net, fluval shrimp granules, test kits, etc.... the list goes on not knowing that you have in your arsenal. Lol

As for that light, I'm glad you chose it.. in a way, your review will help others decide if it's a good option! Can't wait!

Tags
noob, pico, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com