noob questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my 55gal and it has 34watts so its like .67wpg wich i know is not at all a lot of light. How ever can i keep plants at this amount of wattage? I have some in there already that i bought compulsivly. Also at what amount of wpg should i get a CO2 system? I was thinking of doing the DIY set up because thats something i would enjoy doing. I have no idea what plants i have cuz the guy at the store pulled out all the wrong ones. So he gave me like 3 for free...but i will post pictures when i can get them. TIA

It would also be nice if you could get your WPG (antiquated rule if you ask most) up to 1 for low light plants..
2wpg CO2 is benificial.. 2.5 or so it becomes almost nessisary in most cases.. HTH

Toirtis said:
plus only $48 (includes tubes) and free shipping....Santa needs you to have one.

lol tortis!
if only I wasn't Jewish haha

Thanks for the help guys. I will definatly get another lamp or two, and look into the CO2 systems :)

ok well i just went to go and measure my hood lights, and the are 22" long and on the big al's sight the smallest they had was 24"

Stupid top fin and their stupid lights. If i get a new light i will probably have to find one at petsmart. I hate that store, but i always go there.... :dope: 8O

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
18" on a 55gal? should be 4'x1'x20" taking 4' fixtures

Nope, 55gal usually come with 2 small strip lights (cheaper to sell this way). Since the tank is 48" total, an dyou ahve the center brace to deal with, the fixtures can't be a full 24" wide or they'd over hang...so they're the next size down. and only 15-18w bulbs, instead of 20w

Yeah, but if she is adding a new fixture like the one mentioned above, the 4' fixture would be ideal.. 2 bulbs/1 ballast instead of 4 bulbs/2 ballasts.

yea i have the 2 hoods for my tank.
I think i will replace one with my lighitng hood from my gecko and get the compact 50watt bulb and a moon light. This way i will have just over 1wpg. The hood from my geck has 2 normal light sockets.

Back
Top Bottom