Noobie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, well this is gonna sound stupid, but I have zero knowledge about planted tanks. My question is, are there any plants you can put in a tank without a substrate? I have a 20 gal and its just got about inch and a half of pebbles on the bottom. I want to get a tall plant that will reach near the top and could just get a fake plant, but figured a live plant would be cool too. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Live plants are a great idea. You do have substrate, which is the pebbles. I would go for anubias, as you do not plant them deep in the substrate. They are often attached to rock or driftwood, and not planted at all. Many of them grow very tall. Java ferns would also be a great choice, as they are planted in a similar fashion. Mosses like java moss would be great as well, since you don't actually plant them. Depending on your lighting, hornwort, pennywort, and anacharis would be great choices as well. Hopefully your substrate will be deep enough to plant some, but they also do great floating.

Back
Top Bottom